Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Where to find genuine Series 1 VF SS Rims? Also, best tyres to suit?

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
I'm a Michelin man myself but the Bridgeys seem pretty popular on here
I'd buy them too, if it weren't for the import costs, man. Over here the cheapest I can find is nearly $1.5k and they'll need new tyres on top of that

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
I think the RE003 is more a competitor to the PS4 than the PS4S.
PS4 may be cheap-ish at the moment because PS5 has been released, not read anything much about them.
RE003 is quite an older pattern, people are keen on them & they're available in a good range of sizes, but it's hard to believe there's not something better around at a similar price.

What sort of wheels are you after? You've referred to "off the shelf" vs "factory" so I'm not sure what you had in mind?
I'm just after genuine Holden rims. I want to look stock. I don't want anything too flashy or different. In time I may upgrade all-round, but at this time I just want stock OEM rims

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Ute/ 2016 VF2 SS-V Redline
Awesome info mate thank you. I also have a set of S2 Redline staggered 19s in the shed..ill check them for the Alcoa markings..
Nah.. the S2s are Thailand and GM xxxxx. Oh well lol...I prefer the Kudos rims I've got on it anyway ;)

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
This style I believe where all Forged and the lightest. Easiest way to tell is take a peak inside, you'll see they are made by Alcoa in the USA (There is part numbers in other threads)

View attachment 239896
Series 1 Forged ^^

View attachment 239897

The Series 2 versions above are where it gets murky. The late Series 1 models are Forged, from what I heard the demand exceeded the supply for them in production (In another thread it mentions the factory got so backed up with cars waiting for the rims, they resorted to getting stock via air freight from the US, which would have cost a small fortune) but for VF2 onwards the bean counters made em switch to cast. In saying this there was scattered reports that people with VF2's got the forged from the factory, but ex Holden workers mentioned this not to be the case so not sure here

Externally, they are very similar on the face, but the Forged versions have a thinner spoke. Again, easy way to tell is look inside the rim, it will say Alcoa.

They also differ in the internal section of the rim, the cast versions are more flat and fully painted black, where as the forged are only painted on the face and inside, not the internal section (See below, on the cast this bit is all black).

View attachment 239898

Alcoa markings. On the cast versions, this will just have a GM, manufacturing date and Thailand stamped near the hub on the back of the spokes. Weight difference is about 2.5Kg, but I haven't been able to clarify if this is compared to the more common series 1 rims I posted first

View attachment 239899
Thanks for the advice mate. I don't mind too much between cast and forged at this point. I just want factory stock rims. Either will do. I just need to actually find some

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd buy them too, if it weren't for the import costs, man. Over here the cheapest I can find is nearly $1.5k and they'll need new tyres on top of that
Yeah postage would be a killer.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Nah.. the S2s are Thailand and GM xxxxx. Oh well lol...I prefer the Kudos rims I've got on it anyway ;)
S2 are all like that ... this means nobody lied to you, if anyone told you they were VF2 wheels. :)

I'm just after genuine Holden rims. I want to look stock. I don't want anything too flashy or different. In time I may upgrade all-round, but at this time I just want stock OEM rims
OK so you don't care which VF they are off?
eg. if they're SS, SS-V, SS-V Redline, or even Calais?
SS wheels are shared with SV6 in Series I, as well, so if you don't care you can also look for SV6 ones.
If you don't even care which year-model or series they're off, you should be spoiled for choice, really ... except WOW they're all expensive when I look on eBay!

Last edited:

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 are all like that ... this means nobody lied to you, if anyone told you they were VF2 wheels. :)
I took them off my '16 Redline and put on the Bathhursts lol so yeah pretty confident they were S2 wheels..I was just hoping I had a set of those 'unicorn' forged S2 ones..no such luck :p

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Yeah I reckon they're true unicorns, and people who think they have them aren't reading/absorbing the "but they're not Forg'd like the MY15 wheels were".

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ Yeah I reckon they're true unicorns, and people who think they have them aren't reading/absorbing the "but they're not Forg'd like the MY15 wheels were".
but for VF2 onwards the bean counters made em switch to cast. In saying this there was scattered reports that people with VF2's got the forged from the factory
I hear ya forg... but you know..gotta check just in case lol... tbh im really not worried in the slightest..my factory rims will probably sit in the shed forever and when I die they'll be sold for next to nothing to get rid of them

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
I just need to actually find some
Watch Gumtree like a hawk. I found spare SSV rims on there. There’s 18 inch SS wheels on there now, just not in SA if you want to take the risk.