Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Which is the more suitable oil (Penrite)

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Penrite 10 Tenths Racing 10 Engine Oil - 10W-40, 5 Litre - Supercheap Auto Australia

Penrite Everyday Full Synthetic - 6 Litre - Supercheap Auto Australia

I have a vx ss which gets driven like a baby. I put Castrol edge 10w-60 in it a few weeks ago and now it's louder on strartup (which is pretty common) and making a strange noise which seems to be getting worse so i'm going to drop it.

Has anyone tried either of these? I'm sure they'll both be fine, i'm just wondering if it's worth spending the extra money when i need 5.5 and the Racing tenths is in a 5L bottle so i'd have to buy 2. Whereas the daily driver is a 6L bottle, which makes it easy.

I'm thinkin' there's not going to be much difference seeing as they're both Fully Synthetic.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I currently run Magnatec Professional 15w40 in my VX SS which I have had from new it is a workshop grade not available retail, I have used Penrite in other cars I have owned over the years and for a change I am thinking of trying Penrite in the SS, if I go ahead I will go with the Penrite HPR 10 which is a 10w50 SN synthetic.
Have a look at the link below.

Penrite Oil - A Better Class Of Oil

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
Second option would be absolutely fine imo mate,plus if it works out cheaper that = WIN for you whilst still using a reportedly very good oil.

Does keep if you want to use the 10 tenths and have excess litres left over to go towards your next change.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
I currently run Magnatec Professional 15w40 in my VX SS which I have had from new it is a workshop grade not available retail, I have used Penrite in other cars I have owned over the years and for a change I am thinking of trying Penrite in the SS, if I go ahead I will go with the Penrite HPR 10 which is a 10w50 SN synthetic.
Have a look at the link below.

Penrite Oil - A Better Class Of Oil

I'll give a 10w-40 a go first. Thanks though.

This is the noise:

[youtube]D5yC5JqZI50[/youtube]

Can anyone give any insight into the noise?

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Second option would be absolutely fine imo mate,plus if it works out cheaper that = WIN for you whilst still using a reportedly very good oil.

Does keep if you want to use the 10 tenths and have excess litres left over to go towards your next change.

Yeah, i was thinking it still does work well cause it would give me a bottle for next service, but yeah.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
You will have to give some feed back on what you think of the Everyday 10w40 if you use that. The LS1's can be a bit on the noisy side when they are cold.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
You will have to give some feed back on what you think of the Everyday 10w40 if you use that. The LS1's can be a bit on the noisy side when they are cold.

Mmmm. The noise stays there even when it's hot though.

Thanks for the replies though.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yeah I've never come across anything like Pentite 10 Tenths, definitely the best oil for our car.
Here's a cold start audio on a VE with AFM thats done 150,000k

[video=youtube_share;fhsdGnrHXV8]http://youtu.be/fhsdGnrHXV8[/video]

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
Yeah I've never come across anything like Pentite 10 Tenths, definitely the best oil for our car.
Here's a cold start audio on a VE with AFM thats done 150,000k

[video=youtube_share;fhsdGnrHXV8]http://youtu.be/fhsdGnrHXV8[/video]

Cool, thanks for the vid too!
I might just spend the extra and get it then.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I have a vx ss which gets driven like a baby.

Either or will be fine, especially if you're just dailying. I run the everyday stuff in my SR.