Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whine at 95-97k/h

Dre

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VZ Calais
Hi all, I have a 2008 Holden VE SSV ute (manual, 97,000k's on clock) that has developed a whine while travelling between 95 and 97k/h. Trying to work out if its a rear wheel bearing or diff. The front wheel bearings were replaced a little while ago and this whine developed a fair while after that. Happens in 4th, 5th and 6th gear. Generally only happens (that I've noticed) when I'm coasting, it seems like its load related, so when the engine is slowing the car down, the whine is there but only between 95-97k/h, when you accelerate through 90 to 100k/h you cant hear the whine until you coast back down through 95-97k/h, but goes away if I push the clutch in, comes back when I release it which makes me think maybe diff???

Any ideas?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yes there was a TSB on that a few years ago, info posted on here.

Dre

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VZ Calais
Yes there was a TSB on that a few years ago, info posted on here.
Really? I looked through the recalls sticky already but nothing in there. I'll keep looking but do you happen to know any more info on the thread?

Thanks!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
My diff guy (been through three, first name basis), recommends coz diff sump is so small 0.9l that fluid should be drained and replaced every 20k km ideally. I take that with a grain of salt but worth booking it in to replace fluids, inspect seals.

Dre

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VZ Calais
Thanks for the info!

I'll certainly change the oil in it as a first step, if it gets rid of the whine then I owe you a beer or 3!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Thanks for the info!

I'll certainly change the oil in it as a first step, if it gets rid of the whine then I owe you a beer or 3!

If he asks for rum, lookout! :confused:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
My diff guy (been through three, first name basis), recommends coz diff sump is so small 0.9l that fluid should be drained and replaced every 20k km ideally. I take that with a grain of salt but worth booking it in to replace fluids, inspect seals.

Kinda stupid isn't it, Holden are putting more power than ever through these diffs and yet they reduce the lubrication capacity that not only lubricates but is also the cooling medium for said diff....

Clearly HSV have figured something out by putting a whole lot of coolers on their high powered cars ;)

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
If you change the oil go with a good oil, have done mine 3 times with penrite pro gear,

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Repco sells the Pro gear GL5 but keeps it behind the counter away from the riff raff lol.