Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

who has a hot 6??

hsvtj

now cruising..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, VS Statesman 5.0
I was looking through an old 1987 Street machine mag .It had a blown 179 in an LJ Torana and they were also using the Ford 221 crank . Those cranks were used in the old XW motors . This Torana was from South Oz and was alleged to put out 350 HP.Looked kinda strange with a blower hanging out of the left hand side of the bonnet . will post pics and specs if interested ,and when i get computer fixed.

id be keen on seeing that one

hiy_po

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
I've got a 202 turbo in a VK. On twin SU HIF44's atm but EFI and a wolf 3D are planned future mods. I've run against a 307kw R8 clubsport and it was no competition. By 3rd gear I was half a car infront.

Jo3_Blo

HZ Holden Fanatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
WB 1 Tonner, VS Ute
Yeah, I heard one bloke say the other day that the 6 is probs quicker than an 8 off the mark, but then I would think once you strat gettting intot he higher speeds, the 8 will roar past.

Anyway, I've got as far as I know a completely Stock-o blue 202 in my WB (only got it yesterday)
Yeah, stock, it's definitely hot lol.
Maybe once I've got it all going, I can do a few small mods to it.

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
heres my new hot 6. just whacked it in atm. still need new ignition and fuel pump and to finish running it in before i can get the most out of it. going to add a supercharger soon too to spice things up a bit. i still need to get the full details of the engine as i didnt get it built. its got a 202 crank, bored-honed-crack tested, yt head, yt valves, 1.5 roller rockers, crow 30/70 cam, double valve springs, starfire rods, unsure bout pistons, high volume oil pump, 350 holly etc...

this is when i just got it running so sorry bout the filthy engine bay, and crappy tapper cover and phone photo :)

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
heres my new hot 6. just whacked it in atm. still need new ignition and fuel pump and to finish running it in before i can get the most out of it. going to add a supercharger soon too to spice things up a bit. i still need to get the full details of the engine as i didnt get it built. its got a 202 crank, bored-honed-crack tested, yt head, yt valves, 1.5 roller rockers, crow 30/70 cam, double valve springs, starfire rods, unsure bout pistons, high volume oil pump, 350 holly etc...

this is when i just got it running so sorry bout the filthy engine bay, and crappy tapper cover and phone photo :)

Nice mate, sounds like it should go pretty good! :D

Few things tho...starfire rods are standard in blue and black motors. If it's a red motor it's actually illegal to have it in the VH.....but hey I've done the same thing with my 173 in my VK lol.

And something doesn't seem right about the crank. You say it's a 186(says it in ur rides)....but a 186 with a 202 crank wouldn't work unless u have 202 pistons, which would make the motor a 202. I could be wrong tho, but I'm sure the different pistons (173/186 - 202) are slightly different, as in the measurement from the gudgeon pin to the top of the piston is different between the 2. But like I said I could be wrong. ;)

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nice mate, sounds like it should go pretty good! :D

Few things tho...starfire rods are standard in blue and black motors. If it's a red motor it's actually illegal to have it in the VH.....but hey I've done the same thing with my 173 in my VK lol.

And something doesn't seem right about the crank. You say it's a 186(says it in ur rides)....but a 186 with a 202 crank wouldn't work unless u have 202 pistons, which would make the motor a 202. I could be wrong tho, but I'm sure the different pistons (173/186 - 202) are slightly different, as in the measurement from the gudgeon pin to the top of the piston is different between the 2. But like I said I could be wrong. ;)

yeah i thought blue motor rods were starfire ones. also im aware of the legalities but really whats the difference when u modify them? they all end up with the same gear. im not 100% sure bout the crank but i know the bloke i bought it off was deciding between a ford crank and a 202 1. its $4500 worth of engine, and the overall capacity is 220ci or 3.6L so i'd say its got the 202 crank. i got the head off now and tho i havent measured the stroke i can tell its not the standard stroke.

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
WHoa, 4500 worth! Gees! :)

I like it though. Looks pretty good.

Incidentally, how much would it cost approx to get a blue 202 rebuilt? (just talking stock standard)

prob a grand or so at a guess. if u going to go to the effort of rebuilding it put a small cam in:thumbsup:

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Mad 2 see alot of people still looking after the old girls!! Hey any of you fellas got the straight 6 with the trip su carbs on the side?? the I6 is a pretty tough little motor, and while it may not be as power full as a V8, lets not forget that the humble little torry with the I6 whipped both the GTHO falcon & the chargers @SS around bathurst, and the falcon had over 400BHP so its not all about power;) Now with that said im doing up a charger @ the moment with the 265 I6 motor ( i have thrown in a pic of what she will look like when i have finished with her) and most average factory V8,s wouldn't stand a chance against this old girl when she is done:D anywayz keep the pics coming:D

Attachments

• austra4.jpg
    austra4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 246

guilty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S pack
my old mans got a hot six in his torana

if ya wana see pics i will post em