Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wireless Carplay recommendations for ZB RS??

Peter Grant

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Z Series sedan
HI there. Bought a Carlinkit 4.0 wireless dongle for the ZB and followed all instructions but can't seem to get it to work. Even when the green light on the dongle is flashing, the touch screen is frozen. I did see on a youtube video on this device that they mentioned 'make sure your iphone's BT and WIFI are not connected to other devices otherwise it will lead to connection failure.' If that's true then i'm stuffed cos my apple watch is paired all the time.
Any other devices people using that work perfectly?? I'm now looking at Ottocast.

kwhelan

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB VXR
working perfectly here, have wife and my phones connected and can choose either at bootup. apple and android
the instructions were not 100% correct from memory the first time, which was confusing and I wasn't sure what to expect
once you have paired I think you stop touching the phone ,that was another mistake I made in ignorance I think
from memory there was some sort of wifi connection and then it changed to opel and you connected to that
Perhaps it takes a minute to decide on the type of car its emulating too? the instructions never mentioned opel
make sure you removed all previous linked phones from the actual car connection first as they would confuse it.
turn off car and radio if trying again to clear everything before re attempting
possibly disconnect watch and try, then try re-establish watch once working
dead touchscreen, possibly permissions needed prompt on phone screen during pairing, for mic, etc etc
I don't remember touching the screen during setup but I do recall the screen going blank a few times and thinking this isn't going to work but it did. I think it actually took powering off the car once paired before the screen started to just sync as expected.
you should get a white carplay icon appear in the car home screen if its working but once connected it defaults to carplay everytime you start the car and loads the phone screen up automatically. takes 15-20 secs and doesn't work in reverse due to camera override so only comes on once backed out of drive
adding subsequent phones was easy once it was working and it has only ever failed once from memory and a quick remove/reinsert of the usb and it cleared.
its a really good piece of kit, very happy with it

Peter Grant

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Z Series sedan
working perfectly here, have wife and my phones connected and can choose either at bootup. apple and android
the instructions were not 100% correct from memory the first time, which was confusing and I wasn't sure what to expect
once you have paired I think you stop touching the phone ,that was another mistake I made in ignorance I think
from memory there was some sort of wifi connection and then it changed to opel and you connected to that
Perhaps it takes a minute to decide on the type of car its emulating too? the instructions never mentioned opel
make sure you removed all previous linked phones from the actual car connection first as they would confuse it.
turn off car and radio if trying again to clear everything before re attempting
possibly disconnect watch and try, then try re-establish watch once working
dead touchscreen, possibly permissions needed prompt on phone screen during pairing, for mic, etc etc
I don't remember touching the screen during setup but I do recall the screen going blank a few times and thinking this isn't going to work but it did. I think it actually took powering off the car once paired before the screen started to just sync as expected.
you should get a white carplay icon appear in the car home screen if its working but once connected it defaults to carplay everytime you start the car and loads the phone screen up automatically. takes 15-20 secs and doesn't work in reverse due to camera override so only comes on once backed out of drive
adding subsequent phones was easy once it was working and it has only ever failed once from memory and a quick remove/reinsert of the usb and it cleared.
its a really good piece of kit, very happy with it
Yea, i think i tried everything with no luck. I've sent it back for a refund. May try the Ottocast. Thanks mate

dicc01

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS 3.6
Yea, i think i tried everything with no luck. I've sent it back for a refund. May try the Ottocast. Thanks mate
We have 2 ZB Commodores, and Carlinkit 2 caused problems with radio freezing on both cars. Both cars now have Ottocast. No problems. Flawless. Good luck!!

dicc01

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore RS 3.6
HI there. Bought a Carlinkit 4.0 wireless dongle for the ZB and followed all instructions but can't seem to get it to work. Even when the green light on the dongle is flashing, the touch screen is frozen. I did see on a youtube video on this device that they mentioned 'make sure your iphone's BT and WIFI are not connected to other devices otherwise it will lead to connection failure.' If that's true then i'm stuffed cos my apple watch is paired all the time.
Any other devices people using that work perfectly?? I'm now looking at Ottocast.
No end of trouble with Carlinkit 2. On 2 ZB commodores. Radio displays freezes, reversing camera not shutting off requiring hard reboot of radio - which of course you can’t do, you have to wait about 2-5 mins until the car decided to do it. Ottocast works on both cars with no issues. None.

Peter Grant

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Z Series sedan
No end of trouble with Carlinkit 2. On 2 ZB commodores. Radio displays freezes, reversing camera not shutting off requiring hard reboot of radio - which of course you can’t do, you have to wait about 2-5 mins until the car decided to do it. Ottocast works on both cars with no issues. None.
Good-o. I’ve got one ordered so fingers crossed. Thanks for the feedback

robdre09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 RS ZB V6
I personally have had success with the AAwirless dongle form the USA.
Works 99% of the time with no issues. Drain the phone battery very quickly though.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
@robdre09 I use AAWireless , i charge my phone each evening to 100% and use a wireless charger while in the car using AA , my daily trip to work is 45min to an hour there 45 to an hour back and only use about 40% battery , i realise this is a Carplay thread

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
my daily run for work is about 1hr(100km) and mine uses about 15% of the battery, it is a fold4 though so i only need to charge every 2 days or so.
it depends on the actual device and how well the cpu conserves energy.
aawireless does use wifi and bluetooth to operate so on some devices that can chew power.

you can still drop the phone into a wireless charging slot and aawireless will work without draining too much power

if you dont have wireless charging in the zb there are some options on aliexpress like this

and others

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
The wireless charger as fitted in the pre 2019 models doesn't work with most phones however there is an upgrade kit available. I'll try and find a link and post it.