Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Would converting my Holden VY S II from Automatic to Manuakl make a difference?

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Im planning on converting my vy s pac to a manual, would i gain more speed or be able to go faster by doing so? Also im planning on getting a new lsd diff

as other have said. manuals can feel faster because your in control of the revs. as immor said, usually a manual will pull a few extra kw on a dyno. but some people dont believe in dyno figures.

as an ex truck driver, i quickly got over manuals especially having to shift 9 times and only doing 20kmh. and start stoppin in traffic makes it even more fustrating.

my statesman is fully manulised and i love it. cannot recommend it enough. im in control of the car. and dont have a dead leg in traffic. unfortunately due to new cars being all electronic i dont think you can do it. i had to put a VN box in my car to do it.

j_ds_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS T4
... and of course gears can't be shifted faster than an auto too

Well, you (the driver) know in advance which way you want to shift, whereas the auto tries to figure out from your inputs. Often it guesses wrong and you have to wait for it to right itself, like when you want to accelerate immediately after a quick dab of the brakes. Irritating! So you can be proactive whereas the auto is reactive, that gives you (with a manual) an advantage.

Joe.

Last edited: