Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Yet another VZ starting issue

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Nothing wrong with being tighter than the seals on a submarine.

Options are:
• a repair at ~$350 (no programming needed).
• A replacement computer set (PIM, Key head, ECM, BCM) from the wreckers, matched to the body type, trim level, and early or late VZ. (no programming needed). ~$250
• A new ECM/U (what ever we are calling it). Programming needed ~$1400

Flash Gordon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Thanks for setting out the options Fu Manchu. The upside is at least now it is no longer an intermittent problem as it fails to start every time. So I need to pull my finger out and get it sorted.

In terms of next steps I'm leaning towards your Option 1. I looked on eBay to see if the ECU repair crowd previously recommended still had a listing but couldn't find it. With the current Covid thing interstate courier services seem to be taking a lot longer, so first prize for me would be to find someone in QLD who can do the repair. There are a few ECU repair places located down in Brisbane, so I'll ring around today to see what they say.

Thanks again for the info provided.

Flash Gordon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Thought I would update this thread as the information may help someone else out somewhere along the line. So it took me a while to save up enough extra cash to take my ute into the local Holden dealership. They plugged in their diagnostic equipment but were unable to access the ECM. Turns out it had gone bad. They replaced it with a brand new unit. All up just over $1600. My sincere thanks to everyone who provided advice along the way.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

Flash Gordon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Too right Fu, but I was getting tired of having to bridge the starter motor relay all of the time.

It's been a good ute apart from this issue so I can't really complain.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks for setting out the options Fu Manchu. The upside is at least now it is no longer an intermittent problem as it fails to start every time. So I need to pull my finger out and get it sorted.

In terms of next steps I'm leaning towards your Option 1. I looked on eBay to see if the ECU repair crowd previously recommended still had a listing but couldn't find it. With the current Covid thing interstate courier services seem to be taking a lot longer, so first prize for me would be to find someone in QLD who can do the repair. There are a few ECU repair places located down in Brisbane, so I'll ring around today to see what they say.

Thanks again for the info provided.
The dude on ebay wasn't to hard to find, ecu-fix
Screenshot_20200802-042217_Chrome.jpg

Flash Gordon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Thanks for that. In my case the issue was a faulty engine control module. I've had the new one in for a few months now and starting is back to normal.