Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 and 173

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
ok sounds sweet ill definately look into getting an upgraded cam and leave my carbie alone... just play with mixture screw etc as im having a few probs at take off while cold etc... only other thing i have in mind right now is go grab some better spark leads 10 second job

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
It all depends wot ya want from ya 6 if ya want more performance than bolt the 173 head onto ya 202 wif a mild cam good zorst and wot ever carby ya want and a 350 aint to big 4 a 202 ya just gotta set it up rite and it will go like a cut cat or if ya want good sound wif good fuel econemy the 173 wif a little towing cam will be the way to go another thing that will come into consideration wif ya fuel eccon is wot ya gearbox is like and wot diff ratio you are running.

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
i have a 81 vh with extractors and a 2.2" zaust it has cai. but im putting on a weber 34adm carbie more power less fuel easire to tune, then possibly a cam i dnt want mad power just enough to satisfy me.

Hairy Eater

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Executive V6
when you put in a lumpy cam.... you change the vacum... Hollys have changable power valves... i'm not sure about standard holden carbies... idle mixture is for a few revs... primary jet is for a few more revs... secondary jets for more revs.... power valve opens up at the top end of the rev range... also when you push the accerator flat like when passing or just flooring it...

AklHoon

aklhoon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 3.8 Executive
I know the 173 also came out as a high and low compression motor as the 202 nothing wrong with eather in my opinion.

I've had several of both and good motors, i also have a 3.3 VK black ive fitted in a 79 mitzi galant with 5 spd.( my dirt track racer car.)

serifpanfried

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII_to_be
I really love the old 202. Havent had one in many years but used to hang out at this workshop on the weekends and they would be into building theyre "hand grenade" motors. The block was pretty standard nothing too fancy but had a nice whiney straight cut timing gear set - huge cam - hardened pushrods - heaps of headwork porting and intake (almost through to the waterjacket - some would and you chuck em) double valve springs and roller rockers bigger valves etc - elctric fuel pump into a 600! (cant quite remember but it was huge) holley doublepumper and huge fuel lines - straight out dumped 3inch exhaust - locked up "banjo" (not very strong but plentiful) diff. Made a huge noise, had heaps of power and when you snapped one axle the drive would all be on one side so that wheel would spin at will in any gear with a heavy foot. The block would last maybe a couple of weeks before it blew up but all the other parts you kept and just replace the block.

A-TEAM AUTOMOTIVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais 3.3 efi
brohawk, post sum pics 4 ov vh, sounds awsome

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
My old 'rana used to hammer. Was a 202, 40 thou' overbore pistons, starfire rods, XU1 spec cam, 161 head, alloy straight cut timing gears (standard fibre ones are ****), extractors and single 2.25" exhaust and a 350 holley. In a light car with a all aussie used to fly.
There is a forumla to work out what carb to use.
CARB CFM=
ve.gif

My 202 combo works out to around 330cfm or so. The above is easy to work out except maybe the VE%. Basically a full blown drag car is around 100%, stock low performance cars (like a 173/202) are around 75-85% and something that has had some mods like better head, cam and extractors is around 85-95%.
AirStrike :air:

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
a-team look at the my ride section there are hell pics there. none of the engine though not good enough

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I have a blue HC 173, has 275,000k's on it and it still went alright. A lot of the time I abused the crap out of it. I also got the 5spd behind it so I use to do a few skids.

Off the line it use to keep up with V6's till I was at about 4k in 2nd...then they'd overtake haha.

If u were in my car while I was out thrashing it, you wouldn't think the motor was as crap as it was. It leaked oil from just about every gasket in the motor, blows blue smoke at about 3000rpm (only started doing that bout 3 months b4 I took it off the road), has noisy lifters, and overall if u look at the motor youd be surprised if it even ran at all lol.

A few months ago the VH got defected for a few things, oil on the motor being one haha....so now I've decided to rebuild the motor. I also ended up putting a 3.45 borgy under the ass end coz I blew 2 salisbury 8 bolts.

So far I've got nearly everything to start putting my motor back 2gether...just need to get some machining done and if all goes well I'll have a yella terra head to go on.

So far I've got JP Performance straight cuts to go in, Crow cam (35603 rev range is 2000-5000rpm), Hastings rings, ACL bearings, ACL MonoTorque gasket kit, new welch plugs, new lifters, and if I don't put the yella terra head on I'm getting my head shaved, acid dipped and cleaned, valve regrind and also some Crow performance valve springs.

When I pulled the motor apart, 4 of the 6 top pistons rings were broken haha.

I'm hoping for atleast 80rwkw when I'm finished.