Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] 308 back yard build

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
nothing is wrong with it i hope, its was bored 30thou when it was rebuilt last. bores dont seem too bad (few minor scuff marks) but i need to get an expert opinion on the state of the bores.

i was curious wether it could be done or not in case it needs another rebore but theres not enough thickness left to do it when i rebuild it next

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK -Project-, VX R8 Clubsport
op, when u get this thing finished i know a good blue slip guy about 150 kays away from your part of the world, he's not dodgy but he's not a nazi either

thanks mate that would be great, im pretty sure all the blokes up here are nazi's that i can think of ...

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok so i just sorced out a 304 black motor ( direct from a 1985 VK ) and i looked on the net (holden numbers indentification chart) to make sure the numbers lined up.

its says the VG black motor is from a late model 1985 which is sweet but what confused me was " VK 304 late 1985 manual only V7X"

anyone be able to tell me what this means ? :/ does in mean only a manual box lines up to it or wha ?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Hey with bearing clearances, if the block is line honed, big ends resized, crank reground.....does that mean all bearing clearances should be spot on when torqued up to spec? If they're not would I have to pay to get it done again or is it the machine shop not doing a good enough job? How does it work?

Even if the machine work is spot on it does not mean to say that the bearings have not been labelled incorrectly, always check clearances and don't forget side clearance and end float.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
means it was probably only available with a manual

Havent been on much in the last few days some advice in this thread has been good.

A nte with bearing clearances it depends on how they measure it and how many positions they measurewd it in. Doesnt matter wheather they did the job or not you should always measure it again and more than just bottom or top circle.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
" VK 304 late 1985 manual only V7X"

V7x's have a few goodies on them like crank scrapers and such. they are the V5H engines with stock heads. but all that is irrelevant cos' you are gonna modify it :p

pretty sure they are still a trimatic pattern, so they will bolt up to the aussie 4 spd. i think you were after a turbo block werent you?

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
pretty sure they are still a trimatic pattern, so they will bolt up to the aussie 4 spd. i think you were after a turbo block werent you?

ok well i spoke too soon, bastard out bidded me on ebay by $4 in the last minute ... not happy jan ! but there is a 304 black motor out of a VL for sale now and i was wondering, is there any diffrence in the block besides the number ? should the engine mounts line up right with the VK ?

also been in contact with lewis engines and here is the shopping list -

Stroker kit. $1700

Balance $240

Balancer $180

Cam $260

Lifters $90

Intake manifold low rise $400

650 carb $299

now that is pretty much everything i need hey, just need a god dam block that will work with my VK

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Yeah I think all VL 304's had trimatics....can't be 100% sure tho.