Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 355" build thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah, I run Wiseco's on the RD 400 and they rattle until they get hot. But being air cooled they have even more clearance. Apologies for the side track. I'll sit on the side-lines now and keep watching everyone's nice engine builds.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
That is how any decent shop is meant to do it even after they have checked measurements it's still up us to double check it & send it back if find something wrong.

It is worth paying bit extra to get correct job done first time only one trip instead of five or they act like you're wrong lol

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Some parts arrived today.
Messenger_creation_ed8303e8-246e-49eb-84a0-0d519ea1feb3.jpeg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You are putting in main studs?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Little bit of an update on 2 engines.

308 block all cleaned up ready to go back together was a reco engine 60 thou dished pistons,stock rods & crank.
smallest flat tappet crow cam 4626 duration 238/244
(similar spec to crane 286 apparently)

vt stock valve pocket port heads,only 30thou of in case use them again on better bottom end if it doesn't crack a 10 with 150 shot.
Steel shim head gasket
EDM solid lifters,crow valve springs,locks,retainers

china winder has been match ported to heads & inside plenum cleaned up....also dash 12 breather at back to help stock small elbows on rocker cover

Can't think of much else at moment 10 different things going on at once different speed/progress.

Big banger is back from machine shop using CRD caps as Mondo caps were lost in mail for 2 weeks didn't arrive in time as they like to set up tooling to do batches of same brand engine in one go.
(miloden caps had been machined to suit another vn block that got scrapped)

Heads are not ready but basically larger valve with some port work etc...compression will be 11.1

Harrop crank,vn rods & srp pistons

No real rush maybe end of year hoping it takes longer tbh lol.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Looks like it's crossed between f280 & f288...being camtech probably better results since crane grinds were decades old untouched.

If everything is on point compression/heads/convertor/gears/tune it will drive fairly well & sound like an animal...assuming you're cool with bigger convertor & shorter gearing as it will cruise & drive fine BUT if want to get most out of it stally & gears.

My sle was usual 355 10.7:1,small valve vn heads single plane 4500 stally...drove surprisingly well but cam was as big as I would want if you do fair bit of cruising but holy **** did it move if when rare opportunity came to opening it up with nothing around lol.

That said reckon would have been better more compression & stall convertor but for cruising it was fine...sounded crazier than it was....might still have couple video clips of it.

*I was offered f288 way cheaper than smallest solid cam junk motor ended up with because I wanted to be able top slap a side mount on or very least try nitrous but also have a car that can be driven in Sydney weekend traffic jam on way to work so went smaller for drivability even if it means junker 308 wont crack a 10 on the gas.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Looks like it's crossed between f280 & f288...being camtech probably better results since crane grinds were decades old untouched.

If everything is on point compression/heads/convertor/gears/tune it will drive fairly well & sound like an animal...assuming you're cool with bigger convertor & shorter gearing as it will cruise & drive fine BUT if want to get most out of it stally & gears.
Cheers, yes pretty much down the middle of 280 & 288. IVC is 51°

Probably 11comp, NPD 100 fuel.
590 heads (2.02/1.6 valve). 3.45 gears - will select a stall after the engine build. NVRAM Delco tune obviously.
I could always change rear gearing another year if it's really required.

Reactions: Lex

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Convertor can wait untill after it is dyno'd then will know suitable size.

But I'd be expecting 4k stally & 3.7 gears would be tallest for street car with overdrive & 25 or 26 inch tyre.

Don't forget will safely buzz to 7k with 4 bolt mains on track.

If stally is built right minor slippage with normal driving.

Last edited: