Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

4L60/65 Tap Shift may be possible

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
yeah i knew what he meant. just taking a look now. looks like there is no wire in pin5 of the pim module.

so i put a wire on and touched it to ground, nothing come up on the dash. I'll run my 2new wires for the tapshift control to see if i can get it to activate without touching the tcm tune.

1 wire is just a 12v switched source, the other is the wire to tcm.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Watch some of his videos on the Youtubes. He is finding some really cool features buried in the software and a mix and match of VE and VZ modules.

As an example:

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
so the active select wire does trigger & can be monitored via tech2 pim. quick short to gnd to active/deactivate.
however tapshift still isn't working. I can see the trans is seeing the up/down paddles working, it's just ignoring them.
tried all the options in hpt/efilive with no luck.

it's similar to what i would see with a 6l80e when the shifter is in the wrong spot to activate.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
What about using a VF shifter?

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
What about using a VF shifter?
ve & vf shifter do it via bcm which sends it out over the can. the vz paddles are direct wired to the trans controller.

i'll take a look at the tcm code to see if any of the instructions are similar to the t43/6l80e controller in case it's a switch that is not turned on, but i wont spend too much time on it, since it's coming out anyway.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The VE shifter has been used by @CWG and one of the very early conversions on a VZ SS Crewman used a VF shifter. The VF shifter really looks the goods in place of the VZ one.

The link is in one of the previous posts.
IMG_6521.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6520.jpeg
    IMG_6520.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 17

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
doesnt really matter what shifter u use, if anything using the ve/vf shifter makes it harder. the vz paddles have the correct resisters built in.

During my testing i tried changing the programming in the dash cluster & pim to the 5l40e, changing the dash just changes to match what the 5 speed shifter looks like;
P R N D 4 3 L

When you change the PIM to a 5l40 however got me excited as that enabled the reverse lamp output when you go to reverse. It never goes active when configured as a 4l60/65e because reverse is handled by the NSBU switch on the side of the box.

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
I've replaced the 4l65e/t42 controller with a 6l80e, i did a quick/nasty wire in job for the 6l by tapping into the relevant pins in the old t42 controller plug, 1 wire direct to the ecu for the neutral safety.

Bunch of changes in ECM/TCM.

Dash is happy, trans shifts through the gears.

I'll pull the harness off, strip the old controller wiring out & 6l80 wiring in.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I've replaced the 4l65e/t42 controller with a 6l80e, i did a quick/nasty wire in job for the 6l by tapping into the relevant pins in the old t42 controller plug, 1 wire direct to the ecu for the neutral safety.

Bunch of changes in ECM/TCM.

Dash is happy, trans shifts through the gears.

I'll pull the harness off, strip the old controller wiring out & 6l80 wiring in.
Was the trans shifting through the gears ok too with the paddle shift?

Torqueup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX,VY,VZ,C6 Z06
yep. paddles are wired direct to the box tcm.

Just need to have the correct settings in the tcm tune. I already do that for my own cars/customers in conversions. It's called hardwiring & was used on the corvette platforms too.

Reactions: Lex