Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

B.C.M. Problems

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Afternoon all its been a while.
I hope everyone had a good Xmas and the New Year is going well.
I had a VE Calais V AFM with a L76 and after swearing that I would never buy another one
I ended up trading it in for a
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline
It's got a nice quiet LS3 Motor and doesn't burn any oil, and the Brembos didn't make more noise than the car alarm.
What more could a long time
Holden fan possibly want.
After 2 months the brakes became extremely noisy and even though it had a new 680 CCA battery it needed regular
charging.
The car has 140k on the clock and the dealership didn't want to know about the noisy brakes
or charging issues. When they
finally got around to testing the voltage irregularities they reported back that there was nothing wrong with the system
Last week l was was getting
messages in the D.I.C. about front and rear light problems.
When l took the car to the auto
electrician they found 2 codes
B101E-46 ECU software configuration. Not programmed and B101E-47 ECU Software Vin not programmed. They disconnected the Trailer interface and the fault was still
there.
The sparky thinks that its the
BCM and after all the reading
that l've done, l think he's right.
Before l take it into the dealership tomorrow, are we missing anything here?
Could it be anything else.
Cheers.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Maybe can be a programming error OR a eeprom error.
I would try to reprogram first and if no good then replace.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
i would get that battery "load tested" before dropping money on a new bcm.
low voltages will cause modules to drop out which will throw all sorts of errors.

the fact you mentioned the battery needed charging could be an indicator of a faulty cell, just because it is new does not mean its not faulty.

you can find places that do free battery testing like battery world, dont bother with the dealer for this as they are idiots and most of the time just test the voltage with a multimeter because they do not understand what a "load test" is.

if the battery is faulty, replace it and clear the codes.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
i would get that battery "load tested" before dropping money on a new bcm.
low voltages will cause modules to drop out which will throw all sorts of errors.

the fact you mentioned the battery needed charging could be an indicator of a faulty cell, just because it is new does not mean its not faulty.

you can find places that do free battery testing like battery world, dont bother with the dealer for this as they are idiots and most of the time just test the voltage with a multimeter because they do not understand what a "load test" is.

if the battery is faulty, replace it and clear the codes.
Cheers stooge, l'll get it done tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The sparky thinks that its the
BCM and after all the reading
that l've done, l think he's right.
You need to scan it with the GM GDS diagnostics, and it'll show you which module has the fault codes. General scan tools may show the codes, but they don't always tell you which module is responsible.

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
You need to scan it with the GM GDS diagnostics, and it'll show you which module has the fault codes. General scan tools may show the codes, but they don't always tell you which module is responsible.
Thanks mate if the battery checks
out o.k. l'll get that done next. Very appreciative for all of the advice.
Cheers.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Actually the code tell you what module! B is body and the codes relate to the BodyControlModule
Just like P codes are powertrain etc.

Furthermore it is a GM Specific code as it has a number after the letter other than 0

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Actually the code tell you what module! B is body and the codes relate to the BodyControlModule
Just like P codes are powertrain etc.

Furthermore it is a GM Specific code as it has a number after the letter other than 0

The bcm might be issuing the code but it might not be what is causing the problem, this is where gds comes in to diagnose the fault beyond a simple error code.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
The bcm might be issuing the code but it might not be what is causing the problem, this is where gds comes in to diagnose the fault beyond a simple error code.
No it is a BCM error code for an internal failure of the BCM
I know what you are saying I use GDS all the time and they point to the problem area but in this case it has a 1 after the letter B telling you it is OEM specific and internal to the BCM.
I can guarantee it is the BCM causing the code due to poor programming or internal eeprom failure hence the specific codes.