Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

B.C.M. Problems

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I can guarantee it is the BCM causing the code due to poor programming or internal eeprom failure hence the specific codes.

again the bcm is throwing the code but it does not always mean it is the cause.

example:

a low voltage state can cause corruption during non volatile memory reading which will lead to corrupted data blocks, this can cause the bcm to throw the B101E-XX error because it cant read the data.
this does not mean the bcm is not programmed nor does it mean the bcm is faulty and it is not the bcm causing the issue, it is the bcm reacting to the low voltage state and throwing the code.

i am not saying the bcm is not the issue here too but i would investigate the other symptoms the op mentioned before just looking at an error code and making an assumption based on the code alone.

if it is the bcm it is not going to be "poor programming" because that is done at the factory in 2016 and would have caused issues before 8 years later.
if it is non volatile memory failure then i would trash the bcm and buy a new one because non volatile memory has a cycle life and it will fail again.
the op could look at component level repair to save money but it may be hard to find someone that can do it in their local area.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
a low voltage state can cause corruption during non volatile memory reading which will lead to corrupted data blocks, this can cause the bcm to throw the B101E-XX error because it cant read the data.
this does not mean the bcm is not programmed nor does it mean the bcm is faulty and it is not the bcm causing the issue, it is the bcm reacting to the low voltage state and throwing the code.
Garbage, garbage out.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Actually the code tell you what module! B is body and the codes relate to the BodyControlModule
Just like P codes are powertrain etc.

Furthermore it is a GM Specific code as it has a number after the letter other than 0
No, that's incorrect. B code doesn't mean BCM, the ECU can show B code faults and likewise immobiliser learn issues can do the same and create B code faults at the BCM, ECU and dash cluster in a VF.
I know what you are saying I use GDS all the time and they point to the problem area but in this case it has a 1 after the letter B telling you it is OEM specific and internal to the BCM.
Nonsense! The 1 after the B indicates it's on the OBD2 protocol, nothing to do with the BCM.

The depth the GDS system provides over a general code scanner is dramatically more informative and the reason the OP needs a GDS scan to identify the faults in the greatest of depth instead of guessing the fault and module responsible.

Generally speaking with VF which ultimately is the same system fitted to the 2011 C6 Corvette, a BCM programming fault results in the engine not starting as a primary symptom.

i would get that battery "load tested" before dropping money on a new bcm.
low voltages will cause modules to drop out which will throw all sorts of errors.
Yes, I agree. Battery issues cause more fault codes than many imagine.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
No, that's incorrect. B code doesn't mean BCM, the ECU can show B code faults and likewise immobiliser learn issues can do the same and create B code faults at the BCM, ECU and dash cluster in a VF.

Nonsense! The 1 after the B indicates it's on the OBD2 protocol, nothing to do with the BCM.

The depth the GDS system provides over a general code scanner is dramatically more informative and the reason the OP needs a GDS scan to identify the faults in the greatest of depth instead of guessing the fault and module responsible.

Generally speaking with VF which ultimately is the same system fitted to the 2011 C6 Corvette, a BCM programming fault results in the engine not starting as a primary symptom.

Yes, I agree. Battery issues cause more fault codes than many imagine.
We will see who is right in the long run as if the OP reports back the final outcome.
The 1 after the B indicates a OEM specific error not a generic error as most OBD2 codes are on a scanner!
The reason the 2 codes come together and you would understand this if you knew what you were talking about when I said a programming error is that it probably has a eeprom fault which results in a further fault when the eeprom can't be read correctly and throws a programming fault.

Going to be hard for a ECU to throw B codes when it only contains C, P & U codes a few contain a few B codes mainly for coolant pump relays and not for anything body related.

Also OBD2 codes come in 2 flavours Generic which applies to all manufacturers and OEM specific.
All generic OBD2 codes start with a letter followed by a 0 (zero) which indicates this code applies to all OBD2 vehicles.
OEM specific have a letter B U C P etc follow by a number other than 0 and this means that a B3001 code on a GM vehicle can be completely different to a B3001 code on a Ford although some are the same but if you get codes that have number other than 0 as the second digit then a generic scanner may or may not read the code correctly and you need to use a system that the manufacturer codes are recognised. Tech2 or GDS2 depending on year of vehicle.
GDS2 only works on VF Commodores as all VE's still rely on the Tech2 system.

Last edited:

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just opened a 2011 C6 Corvette ECU file and looked at master list of DTC codes and no B codes in the ECU so no idea where you are getting your wrong information from.
Also opened a 2017 VF ECU and also no B codes in ECU so wrong on both counts I am afraid.
Depending on where the fault in the eeprom is will define if engine will start or not!
Fault in one part of an eeprom only affects the part of the system that it applies to.
The BCM is still working and not completely dead.

Last edited:

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
We will see who is right in the long run as if the OP reports back the final outcome.
The 1 after the B indicates a OEM specific error not a generic error as most OBD2 codes are on a scanner!
The reason the 2 codes come together and you would understand this if you knew what you were talking about when I said a programming error is that it has probably has a eeprom fault which results in a further fault when the eeprom can't be read correctly and throws a programming fault.

Going to be hard for a ECU to throw B codes when it only contains C, P & U codes a few contain a few B codes mainly for coolant pump relays and not for anything body related.
It's not about who's right or wrong, it's about neither of us have conducted diagnostic scans on the OP's car and we don't know the level of scan tool used either. My recommendation to the OP after confirming the battery is in good condition, is getting a scan done with the GM GDS system that is far more informative than entry level scan tools. Having a guess from a fault code posted based on perceived knowledge is bad advice from the duty of care expected of me as qualified motor mechanic.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Just opened a 2011 C6 Corvette ECU file and looked at master list of DTC codes and no B codes in the ECU so no idea where you are getting your wrong information from.
Also opened a 2017 VF ECU and also no B codes in ECU so wrong on both counts I am afraid.
Depending on where the fault in the eeprom is will define if engine will start or not!
Fault in one part of an eeprom only affects the part of the system that it applies to.
The BCM is still working and not completely dead.
Complete nonsense! B101E code fundamentally means that a control module software calibration isn't learned and can show against an ECM, BCM, dash cluster etc, a B code does NOT indicate or isolate an issue to the BCM. If the fault is in the ECM and you fit and program a new BCM, the fault code will remain. In other words a B code fault doesn't mean a new or reprogrammed BCM will fix it.

That's why you don't guess a BCM issue without proper diagnostics because who's paying for the new BCM that doesn't fix the problem?

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Complete nonsense! B101E code fundamentally means that a control module software calibration isn't learned and can show against an ECM, BCM, dash cluster etc, a B code does NOT indicate or isolate an issue to the BCM. If the fault is in the ECM and you fit and program a new BCM, the fault code will remain. In other words a B code fault doesn't mean a new or reprogrammed BCM will fix it.

That's why you don't guess a BCM issue without proper diagnostics because who's paying for the new BCM that doesn't fix the problem?

Now you are talking complete nonsense because you failed to read the OP's first message.
If you had you would have seen there is 2 codes not one but two!
B101E-46
B101E-47
With sub codes the sub codes are the key to knowing what is going on.
Now diagnose the problem and which is why I said you can reprogram the BCM which is cheap to do and it will probably fail which tells you that you need a new BCM and since you paid for programming for 2 years you can plug the new one in and program away.
No mention of your bullshit about B codes in the ECU I see so obviously don't want to mention that because you made it up hey.
Right or wrong I don't care but you are talking nonsense and shall be proven or I will be helping myself to a big slice of humble pie.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Let's back to this.
No it is a BCM error code for an internal failure of the BCM
I know what you are saying I use GDS all the time and they point to the problem area but in this case it has a 1 after the letter B telling you it is OEM specific and internal to the BCM.
I can guarantee it is the BCM causing the code due to poor programming or internal eeprom failure hence the specific codes.
You've made a diagnostic statement based on the OP's post without knowing the level of scan tool used.
A basic scan tool won't link associated modules contributing to the fault code in the depth the GDS system will.
Whether or not the BCM is setting the code, other modules, wiring or battery faults can cause the fault to set.
Only a dic*#ead would "guarantee" the BCM is at fault implying to re-program or replace the BCM without physically diagnosing the fault.

Here's a fault code on a basic scan tool caused by an incorrectly programmed key.
The BCM and dash cluster both showed B faults. Reprogramming or replacing the BCM or cluster won't fix it.
How it's fixed is reprogramming the keys removing the identifiers option and completing an immobiliser learn function.

The first photo is the BCM fault with the code B3926-00/D. The second photo is the cluster fault code B3902-00/D

There's a B fault shown on the cluster and blows your theory that only the BCM can show B faults, doesn't it?

20210304_193236.jpg

20210304_192527.jpg

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
Let's back to this.

You've made a diagnostic statement based on the OP's post without knowing the level of scan tool used.
A basic scan tool won't link associated modules contributing to the fault code in the depth the GDS system will.
Whether or not the BCM is setting the code, other modules, wiring or battery faults can cause the fault to set.
Only a dic*#ead would "guarantee" the BCM is at fault implying to re-program or replace the BCM without physically diagnosing the fault.

Here's a fault code on a basic scan tool caused by an incorrectly programmed key.
The BCM and dash cluster both showed B faults. Reprogramming or replacing the BCM or cluster won't fix it.
How it's fixed is reprogramming the keys removing the identifiers option and completing an immobiliser learn function.

The first photo is the BCM fault with the code B3926-00/D. The second photo is the cluster fault code B3902-00/D

There's a B fault shown on the cluster and blows your theory that only the BCM can show B faults, doesn't it?
No it does not blow my theory as the BCM still generated the code and it was present in the cluster as well which is controlled via the slow gm lan bus so all part of the same error generating system and the immobiliser and IPC come under the B for body umbrella in the system.
ECU does not generate BCM codes as you STATED as fact so you are wrong and basically made up bullshit to make a point but got called out for your bullshit as that is exactly what is was MADE UP BULLSHIT trying to make me look stupid but you did not realise I had access to all those ECU's did you smart guy?
I think you are talking about U codes which are communication codes and they all have those as they are more important and need to be dealt with first on a system when present as all other generated codes are probably generated for the missing / non communicating module.
I was not asked to diagnose the 2 codes you put up I diagnosed the codes supplied by the op - BIG DIFFERENCE
If I had been asked to diagnose your codes I would have come back with the correct answer I am certain especially if I had the vehicle here.
Basic scan tool will still get the correct number of the code it will probably not give you a correct diagnosis though and once again that is down to the repair person to know that.
It's the same way some codes don't even show unless you scan for them as they do not generate a MIL light or a DIC screen it's all down to the person diagnosing.
But now we are down to name calling hey so time to leave it until the OP comes back with the fix and then we will see who is the DH