Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Conversion question

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Has a rental 380 while driving around Tassie for 4 adults + bags.
Mile of room, comfy, and get and went. Went too good as I picked up a camera speeding fine.
But the choice of interior colours and trim looked like left-overs from a Spotlight fabric sale ............ cheap.
The confusing model range and naming didn't help Mitsi much either.
The old late Magna and the 380 used to fly. Ex BIL had a late Magna the sports one and that thing caned. Old workmate had a 380 and that thing went hard too would smash a SC VT no problem on take off. For an undesirable HOS they seemed to hoon.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Wow this thread went south quick.

Unfortunately this is becoming more common, and it's not becoming.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Wow this thread went south quick.

Unfortunately this is becoming more common, and it's not becoming.
This thread had become repetitive. The general consensus was that it was a bad idea. Had it not been the pub it should have possibly been closed.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Maybe they have one of those questionnaires that you have to answer before they can join?

I can imagine the questions….

(a) how many times has your ‘upgraded’ transmission failed?
(b) how many times has your engine failed after the oil pump failed?
(c) how many times has your ‘upgraded and improved’ transmission failed?
My ex used to have a 380, the top spec model with leather interior. Wasnt too bad to drive around with the family in, I never took it for a spirited drive to see what it handled like but I can’t imagine that it wouldn’t have been brilliant being front wheel drive.

One thing that did surprise me though was the shift quality of the automatic transmission, if you weren’t paying attention to the tacho you wouldn’t really know when it shifted gears because it was that smooth. The engine had plenty of torque too being a 3.8 litre.

Having said that the build quality was pretty bad. The clear coat started peeling off not too soon after the ex bought it and within about 12 months it was basically all gone on the topside (roof, bonnet, boot). The car was only 9 years old at that point with about 180,000kms. That’s one thing I will give Holden, they actually painted the cars properly so the paint didn’t peel off in the Australian sun. The rear bumper was so thin on the rear quarters that you could flex it just touching it with your fingertip.

The engine was ok but somewhat expensive and time consuming to maintain. It had oil leaks from the rocker cover gaskets within a couple of years of the ex buying it and the whole inlet plenum has to come off to replace them. Then the rear coil packs went, and the whole inlet plenum has to come off to replace them! Not to mention the dreaded timing belt replacement.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Every…..single…..time

I wonder if it’s P platers trying to get around high power laws or mummy and daddy said no V8’s
IMG_7582.jpeg

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Nah I really love the car, and it works for my family and dogs. Don’t plan on selling; I want to paint and I want abit more power,
I really love my young chicky babe mistress. :D
She had long blond hair, really fit physique and a great, happy personality.
But she got a crew-cut, dyed her hair green and blue, stacked on 40kgs, smokes cigars, and joined a feminist activist's group, and seems angry all the time.
I don't think I like her anymore. :(