Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Equipment reviews

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Thought I would start this thread to review any equipment one might buy.

Will keep the chat out of it and save it for the forum :)

Follow this layout, unless someone comes up with better?

What about..

Item:

Brand:

Price:

Good points/strengths:

Bad points/weaknesses:

Review:

Review Score out of 10:

Recommendation score out of 10:

Similar models (if known):

Reason for choosing this model:

Examples of work:

Last edited by a moderator:

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
What about..

Item:

Brand:

Price:

Good points/strengths:

Bad points/weaknesses:

Review:

Review Score out of 10:

Reason for choosing this model:

Could be a little more informative and might add a few extra things people might over look.

EDIT: Delete this once you read it and if you decide to use it or not... also add a note asking people to keep comments to a minimum.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Item: Camera

Brand: Fuji Finepiix S5700

Price: $329 About 2 years ago

Good points/strengths: Easy point and shoot, good quality, price

Bad points/weaknesses: auto focus in poor lighting, video quality poor

Review: good entry model camera capable of good shots

Review Score out of 10: 6

Recommendation score out of 10: 5

Similar models (if known): S Range

Reason for choosing this model: Price, specs

NVN07

Latress on the menjay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spack Sedan
Item: EOS 450D

Brand: Canon

Price: $1389 - Twin Lens Kit (18-55 & 55-250 IS lenses)

Good points/strengths: 3inch LCD screen, 3.5fps im pretty sure, easy to navigate through menu.

Bad points/weaknesses: Can't think of any atm as i've only had it for 1 month, will update if i find any tho.

Review: Great camera. Easy to handle and use. Takes great shots in my experience. I love it.

Review Score out of 10: 9

Recommendation score out of 10: 9, might not be for everyone.

Similar models (if known): Canon EOS 500D

Reason for choosing this model: Quailty, price, and the great reviews I had heard about it.

flyjoe180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Canon 400D SLR

Item: EOS 400D

Price: $999 (about a year and a half ago) - Twin Lens Kit (18-35 & 75-300 lenses)

Good points/strengths: 3inch LCD screen, ease of use as with the 350D and 450D models.

Bad points/weaknesses: As with many SLR cameras there is no preview of the shot on the screen, only displays of the shots taken. Not really the end of the world though.

Review: Good value camera, now superceded but with 10MP and the ability to shoot all common formats it's easy to use. The body makes the camera easy to hold and aim with options for focal points. Sports mode is good for catching fast moving objects, however most of my photos have been of aircraft and this setting is not ideal for that topic. I use a pre-programmed setting or Time Value at 250/sec or slower for propeller blur. It woul dbe similar for photographing moving cars. The SLR is not for everyone as it can be complex to learn all the features and is bulky compared to a digital compact, but worth it for good quality photos.

Recommendation score out of 10: 9

Similar models (if known): Canon EOS 350D, 450D, 500D

Reason for choosing this model: Quailty, price, good reputation as an entry level SLR

Two examples:

WN15050803.jpg

WN14050846.jpg

flyjoe180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Canon 720IS

Item: 720IS

Price: $300-ish

Good points/strengths: Compact, light, wide focal length, image stabilisation, AA batteries which are obvioulsy common and cheap to buy. 8MP is sufficient for a little camera for those shots on the run. Landscape photos are very good quality.

Bad points/weaknesses: A lot of 'noise' in low light situations, but you can alter the ISO setting to help prevent too much disturbance to the shot. The auto-focus can be rather annoying at times.

Review: Good value compact digital camera. Has many of Canon's usual settings and is a good little point and shoot camera.

Review Score out of 10: 8

Recommendation score out of 10: 7

Reason for choosing this model: Quailty, price, Already owned a Canon SLR and this makes a good backup camera to carry in the bag when I'm out or at work.

Examples:

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_0778.jpg

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco

Brand: Fuji Finepiix S2000HD
fuji-finepix-s2000-hd.jpg

Price: $320 AUD on Ebay

Good points/strengths: Easy point and shoot, good quality, price, HD Video (720p) But with many features for advanced shooting modes

Bad points/weaknesses: auto focus in poor lighting. not brilliant in direct sunlight.

Review: Great camera for both amateur photographer or someone who doesnt want to go dslr.

Review Score out of 10: 8

Recommendation score out of 10: 7

Similar models (if known): S Range

Reason for choosing this model: Price, Specs, HD video, Quality of older models.

Examples:
25138_1340589969296_1667593213_866873_7574439_n.jpg

25138_1345248845765_1667593213_877726_1591666_n.jpg

DSCF0122.jpg

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zwrWbLVSOTs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zwrWbLVSOTs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

sik_VR

monster VR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
What about..

Brand: Nikon D700
2.jpg

Price: $3,661.00

Good points/strengths: extremely good quality and sharp images (especially with a good lens). Good in all light condition if you know how to tweak.

Bad points/weaknesses: Price, need to know a bit about cameras to get the best out of it

Review: Great camera for armature photographers through to professional. The image clarity is great and it has got loads of great features if your willing to fork out :p.

Review Score out of 10: 9/10

Similar models (if known): Nikon D3S

Reason for choosing this model: Offers great image quality with loads of great features.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vr-vs/9258-post-pictures-your-vr-vs-here-57.html The photos by me near the bottom of page 57 were taken by me with this camera with a Nikon AF-S 24-70mm lens.

Examples of work:
Melbourne_Sunset_by_SuperSprayer.jpg

Last edited:

Gus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Acclaim
Item: 400d

Price: $350

Good points/strengths: Excellent camera to just pick up and use if new to the art of photography. Simple design and very light + comfortable to hold. For the price purchased it was definitely a bargain for what it provides

Bad points/weaknesses: Only a couple things but note that this camera is a bit outdated. So in saying that, the bad points about the 400d are the fact that it cannot record and also the outdated 10.2 megapixel resolution.

Review: Introduction level camera into the D-SLR series. Very easy camera to pick up and shoot but also takes a bit to get to know all the buttons and what they do! The images are crisp as well!

Recommendation score out of 10: 10 (For any amateur photography new to the art)

Similar models (if known): 500d (if any?)

Reason for choosing this model: At the time, funds were limited (..and still are!) and i was a complete novice to D-SLR photography.

Examples of work: