Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
Hi,

Looking at upgrading my cars rims to something decent. I have a 2015 Series 1 VF SS Sedan. Currently sitting in some cheap as/nasty/no name/off-the-shelf 18”s, but with a top of the range tyre

Wondering if there’s any recommendations on what to get and where? Also, what to avoid, what’s plain old stupid, and how big I can go without having to worry about clearances and so on.

I was thinking 19”s to 20”s max, of a genuine Holden wheel. Or is it better to go something like a Koya forged? All of this I’ve found second hand right now and am in contact with the sellers

Thanks for the help

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Are you after a comfortable ride, or doesn't it matter if it is a little harsher? The lower the profile, the harsher the ride

Clearances...It's all about offsets, not rim diametres....So 19" 20" doesn't matter...It's offset. You also have to have the height of the tyre the same as what is fitted. This where tyre profile comes into play

So it's not as simple as you have put...

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VF (Chevy SS)
This site might help you understand what VC Commodore was talking about with offsets. I've got 20" Forgestar CF5's over here in the States, 9.5" wide fronts, +35 offset and 10.5" wide rears, +55 offset. Rear quarters are rolled a bit but they still rub under big dips at speed or with several people in the car. Vast majority of the time I'm driving alone though.

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
Are you after a comfortable ride, or doesn't it matter if it is a little harsher? The lower the profile, the harsher the ride

Clearances...It's all about offsets, not rim diametres....So 19" 20" doesn't matter...It's offset. You also have to have the height of the tyre the same as what is fitted. This where tyre profile comes into play

Nah, not more comfortable. I like the look of slightly bigger wheels and I am intending to make this a stock looking daily with a bit of hidden grunt behind it . Don’t care how harsh the ride is to be honest.

Also I’d be getting them installed professionally, not by myself, to ensure it’s done properly and guards are rolled if they have to be. I know all the offsets change so I want to make sure I don’t rub on anything.

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
This site might help you understand what VC Commodore was talking about with offsets. I've got 20" Forgestar CF5's over here in the States, 9.5" wide fronts, +35 offset and 10.5" wide rears, +55 offset. Rear quarters are rolled a bit but they still rub under big dips at speed or with several people in the car. Vast majority of the time I'm driving alone though.

I rarely drive with more than just me, and even then it’s only two people if it’s anymore.
I do like your setup btw. Bet it looks awesome.

Did you mean to put down a link as I can’t see one?

MrBags

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z SERIES
If you’re set on Koya’s email them and tell them what you want (aggressive fitment, if you have rolled guards etc.) and they will recommend a fitment spec for you.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Sorry, I linked 'site' in my post to the URL
Yeah, prior to the forum upgrade, any links posted were automatically highlighted in blue but that’s not the case any more.

Now the link is slight grey in colour which is not so visible… So what I do when posting is highlight the text, select the colour drop then select the chain link and past the URL in the pop up. This marks the link in blue but anomalies occur and often the blue disappears when posting…

In any case, for the bbs code junkies out there, if you click the cog, the bbs code should look like the following:

Code:
This [URL='https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp'][COLOR=rgb(41, 105, 176)]site[/COLOR][/URL] might help
which yields the following:

This site might help

Really, the best solution if there is some forum post configuration option which can be set so links go blue as before… I thought I’d reported this in a site/feedback thread but maybe not.. :rolleyes:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Nah, not more comfortable. I like the look of slightly bigger wheels and I am intending to make this a stock looking daily with a bit of hidden grunt behind it . Don’t care how harsh the ride is to be honest.

Also I’d be getting them installed professionally, not by myself, to ensure it’s done properly and guards are rolled if they have to be. I know all the offsets change so I want to make sure I don’t rub on anything.

So my suggestion is, actually head to a tyre shop and see what they have available, especially with it fitting, without clearance issues....

Alternatively, do a little search on here and you'll see plenty of info on fitaments with different size rims and even pictures to boot...This might help you decide what suits your style...Then you can order from there

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VF (Chevy SS)
Yeah, prior to the forum upgrade, any links posted were automatically highlighted in blue but that’s not the case any more.

Now the link is slight grey in colour which is not so visible… So what I do when posting is highlight the text, select the colour drop then select the chain link and past the URL in the pop up. This marks the link in blue but anomalies occur and often the blue disappears when posting…

In any case, for the bbs code junkies out there, if you click the cog, the bbs code should look like the following:

Code:
This [URL='https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp'][COLOR=rgb(41, 105, 176)]site[/COLOR][/URL] might help
which yields the following:
I rarely drive with more than just me, and even then it’s only two people if it’s anymore.
I do like your setup btw. Bet it looks awesome.

Did you mean to put down a link as I can’t see one?

This site might help

Really, the best solution if there is some forum post configuration option which can be set so links go blue as before… I thought I’d reported this in a site/feedback thread but maybe not.. :rolleyes:

Direct color values? Why not use hex which is more normal? But then again I imagine it's some sort of security thing and prevents people from pasting full ads as comments. Also, 'BBS' gives me some serious nostalgia being an old geezer. :D