Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help please

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
when you re-fitted the bolts with loctite did you clean out the threads to remove all oil etc. if there is oil present on the bolts or in the threads in the head it can prevent the loctite from working properly.

so i'd suggest double checking that all the bolts are still tight.

if all the bolts are tight you may need to remove the rockers that had come loose previously and have a quick look at the push rod and the rocker, in particular the push rod seat in the rocker and the push rod tip as well as looking for a bent push rod.

Steve will see this thread soon enough, just give it a day or two keeping in mind the time of year

Cheers

Bart

liv4bass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Hey mate yer made sure to clean all the surfaces before putting the loctite on as the bottle said. How do the push rods come out do they just pull straight out? And when u say bent rods does it mean u will actually see a bend in the rods when looking at them by eye? What should i be looking for in the push rod seat and the push rod tip? Also does holden sell replacement pushrods? Sorry for all the questions but i just want to get this done as soon as possible and any help is much appreciated. I believe u may be on the right track with the pushrods as i checked all the bolts today to make sure they were still tight and they were and i have heard of other people who have bent there pushrods in the ecotec motor and they say there engine sounds like a sewing machine which really is the sound it is making. Once again thanks everyone for trying to help its very much appreciated

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
look for a very slight bend in the push rods, there may be some slight scuff marks down the side of the rod which would indicate that the push rod has a slight bend in it and has been touching the push rod hole in the head.

once the rocker is off the push rod will pull straight out (and go straight back in). inspect the ends for damage, when the rockers were loose the push rod may have unseated from either the lifter or the rocker push rod cup (more likely) which may have resulted in either damage to the push rod tip, or the rocker push rod seat.

replacement push rods are available so that isn't a issue

liv4bass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
Righto thanks alot for that mate your a big help. Any chance u no where i can buy a set of pushrods?

liv4bass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
righto well im going to tackle it this weekend and just drive the car real gutless this week as u can only hear it when u climb the revs. Hopefully all goes well

liv4bass

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
hey mace any chance i can take those crow pushrods for 98 bucks delivered? Cause i need a set haha. I looked on your website but i couldnt see any pushrods. I need the set to suit a vt commodore. Could u just put the link up or something. Thanks

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
I thought the mace rockers came with pushrods. Also dont the bolts already have that red threadlocker on already. I think in the past, wasnt there something to do with the pumping up of the lifters and causing noise after high ratio rocker install etc ?