Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HELP roller rockers for my 5 lire 304

vr st8to

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr statesman caprice 5 l & vu s pac ute 6 speed
HELP.Im trying to put some roller rockers on my 5 litre. im in stalling a stage 3 cam 1500 rpm to 4800 rpm range. the bottom end has had a full fresh n up and balance. its an auto with out a stally. i cant get any correct info on what i have todo to install roller rocker. some say you have to have hardend push rods ?? that you have to have the correct length push rods ??? if so how dose one do this ???? do i need guide plates ect ect... at the end of the day all i want is the moitor to spinn a little easier.. hope some one can help. cheers snapper

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
u should be ok with the stock rods, youd only need to upgrade if the cam has more than .500 of lift, and runnin double springs.

remove you intake manifold. pull off the manifold, remove your rocker covers, unbolt roller rkrs, pull out p/rods, remove your lifters, take the wtr pump + timing cover off, pull out radiator for space to pull out the cam, remove the timing gear set pull the cam. it aint a quick job nor is it goin to any easy one.
then you have to dial it in, fit everything back in, fit the rockers and set the preload.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
You can use the Yella Terra adjustable roller rockers. They have a shaft system that has 2 rockers per shaft.
Daughter has them on her stroker 304 using standard pushrods.
Just tension them down onto the heads, then adjust valves like any other adjustable system.

Just checked out the YT web site. Part number should be ST2033. Street Terra.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
if you are using a hydraulic cam, I wouldn't even bother with adjustable rockers, they aren't neccessary for a hydraulic cam
Just buy a set of YT non-adjustable roller rockers. Very simple to install. Just unbolt your old rockers and bolt on the roller rockers. No need for guide plates, different pushrods etc. I've had non-adjustable gold YT on my engine with standard pushrods for over 80,000kms now. No probs

Scrubmonk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S2 V8
Shaft type roller rockers allow each rocker to rotate around the stud, so you will need to use push rod guides to stop them moving around. When you use guides, you also need to use hardened push rods as the guides will chew out standard ones.

You will also need decent studs that either go from the std 5/16 stud hole in your heads to a 7/16 mount for the rockers, or your heads machined to take 7/16 studs. Also with stud mounts and guides, you will probably need longer pushrods to stop the bottom of the roller rocker fouling on the guide plates.

***DON'T BE TEMPTED TO BUY CHEAP (PROCOMP) ROCKERS*** The studs snap, the rockers vary in ratio and don't lineup straight. (Been there, done that!)

The yella terra rockers with two rockers per shaft are the way to go. No need for guides or machining, and can be used with the standard push rods. Personally if I would pay the bit extra and get the adjustable ones, but I am pretty fussy.
Crane do a nice set of individual shaft mount rockers, with matching guides etc for a reasonable price as well.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
just so we are clear these are shaft type rockers:
$(KGrHqZHJD!E9!T+!!i8BPZoCJGiR!~~60_35.JPG

which dont require guideplates or hardened pushrods.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Thats the ones my daughter has.

vr st8to

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr statesman caprice 5 l & vu s pac ute 6 speed
thanks 4 all the help guys went with the yella terra