Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How Do I Take Good Car Shots?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
mount camera on tripod, use a timer if it has one. If it still is not taking clear images, its a camera issue. I'd suggest NOT using auto.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
How long is a piece of string?

Settings are different depending on what time of the day your shooting, what cloud cover there is etc etc.

Not sure what settings you can adjust, but read the manual and learn how each setting works.

sik_VR

monster VR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina
well I recon the camera is the problem. I'm going to use my dad's Canon DX10 which is professional quality with a new lens to take a few photos of my car when I get the chance. I've used his camera for landscape shots and the detail is amazing you can zoom in heaps with out losing quality. So I'd maybe upgrade to an SLR camera they also give you a lot more freedom with shutter speed, aperture etc.
If your pics are still blurry try using a tripod.
Also a bit of colour correcting in Photoshop never hurt anybody. :)

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Mate you only need something like the Canon 400D or equivalent with a wide angle lens of some type possibly an L series lens I have a 400D + a 1D markII (professional body $5000 new now discontinued) with the canon 17-40mm f4.0L series lens and it takes some great pics of cars but don't under estimate a zoom lens I find the zoom lens's take a better quality photo for the type of shots that I take.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Thanks guys. :thumbsup:

I'm not after any fancy equipment or super dooper results for that matter. I just want a good, simple, crisp, clear photo. Something I reckon should be achievable with a simple 6mp camera like mine.

It's taken pretty good photos of people / landscapes etc in the past - I just can't seem to nail the car shot for some reason. Might be too much sun, reflecting off the shiny paintwork as some people have suggested...

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Take photos at sunrise or sunset for the best light, if you have to shoot in direct sunlight use the flash to even out the light. Take photos on the side where the light is.

That's what I have learnt so far. Also putting the camera on the ground can give you some nice shots, and never use digital zoom, only optical.

Just looking at your pics again, and you are getting the same kinda grainyness that my iphone shoots at, I know it might seem weird but try adding more light, maybe with a strong flash, just an idea.

Last edited:

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
don't under estimate a zoom lens I find the zoom lens's take a better quality photo for the type of shots that I take.

This is in comparison to what? They take a better photo compared to what exactly? Wax Paper as a lens?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Mate you only need something like the Canon 400D or equivalent with a wide angle lens of some type possibly an L series lens I have a 400D + a 1D markII (professional body $5000 new now discontinued) with the canon 17-40mm f4.0L series lens and it takes some great pics of cars but don't under estimate a zoom lens I find the zoom lens's take a better quality photo for the type of shots that I take.

erm, 2 types of lenses, zoom and prime, not sure what your getting at here, but a high end prime will always slaughter a high end zoom regardless of WHAT type of shots you take.

Take photos at sunrise or sunset for the best light, if you have to shoot in direct sunlight use the flash to even out the light. Take photos on the side where the light is.

Hmm, i'd be careful using flash during the day unless it is through a softbox or off an umbrella to spread the light. You are better off moving the car to find even light in the middle of the day rather than introducing more light.