Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How Do I Take Good Car Shots?

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Sorry my bad I assumed (YES I KNOW DON'T ASSUME THINGS) it was registered. It had ACT plates on it but I didn't even think to see if it had a rego sticker which I cant see in any of the photo's there was no trailer near it to tow it away plus it had plates so I assumed it was.

I know the Rat Rod down the road doesn't even have a bonnet it's got the big bug catcher style intake on top of the supercharger and it gets taken out regularly.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Calm down.. I was only askig how it was street legal.

As far as I know, removing a bonnet from a car removes its street legality (in any state).. Didn't mean to cause troubled water.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Nah mate your not causing any troubles none at all I thought the same and still think it. I'm just baffled as to how the rat rod is legal to drive on the road maybe there is some different law here in the ACT but not really sure.
I also didn't mean to come across as being pissed off by your question.
Cheers Glenn.

Pearly

Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown Fairlane
There's no 'RIGHT' lens for automotive photography.

They each have a different purpose and you need to know when to use which one for different situations / effects.

WS310105.jpg

WS109315.jpg

WS161660.jpg

uterigshot.jpg

WS119872.jpg

Davey, since you only have a point and shoot camera, my best advice for doing outdoor photos is to switch it over to 'Sports' mode. Generally this is the 'smartest' mode on a camera.
Also as has already been suggested, try to avoid shooting in harsh sun light... early morning or late afternoon are good times to shoot.

Another thing not going for you is that your car is black, and black cars are THE toughest cars to shoot as all reflections show up in them, so try to avoid reflections if possible, use shaded
areas, low angles or very big open spaces. The last thing you want to see in a cars paintwork is a whole lot of busy stuff going on in the background, like this one I took a few years ago.

_1010034.JPG

You can try to minimize these by simply using different angles, or try a different location.

WS021149.jpg

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Thanks Pearly, some good tips there.

I always thought the reflections in black paint were a good thing, as they show up how shiny the paint is etc. But yeah, as you pointed out, you can have reflections without them being too "busy" simply by changing locations, like you did in the last shot.

Thanks again, mate and great photos btw!