Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To Flush A V6 Cooling System

evilopinions

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Hi guys,

cannot find the drain plug for the coolant.
Any ideas where I might find this plug to remove all the coolant ?

ozziemick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 03 Berlina
i dont bother with these coolant tablets to be honest.. as they are not to protect the waterpump.. when the VS commodore came out, holden offered it with a 3 year extended warranty.. now the purpose of the coolant tablets was to seal any minute holes in the radiator/cooling system that would see the car come back under warranty for repairs...
if the seal in the water pump is going to perish, its going to perish whether the tablets are in the system or not

These pills were used befor the VS.i had a VR Acclaim and the pills were used on that vehicle i now have a VY V6 are the pills still required on that model?

ozziemick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 03 Berlina
Im just wondering if this procdure is the same for all v6 commodores?i have a vy V6 would it be the same?

ozziemick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 03 Berlina
So how does this work if the vehicle has climate control? by setting the heater to HOT i did this but when i turned the ehgine off and switched ignition back on it was back at 24 deg where i normaly have the temp set.

Blazed1101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Ozzie mick , Yea set it to hot after you start the car, stuff the pills its not really needed, and the bleed screw is a brass screw at the top of the motor where the top pipe from the radiator meets the motor

Any more questions feel free to ask

nabed4t

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT Commodore V6
Hey Folks,
Any new links for the pictures?

Thanks,
Dan

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
Hey guys, I have read this how to and all the comments. I want to confirm if you take out the thermostat put the housing back on and run water through the system, it will flush out all the old coolant but keep 3 litres of water in the block when I finish. So then just add 6L coolant and 3L water. All done. (After thermostat back in of course). Thanks.

outlander

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore 95 VS
Thanks for the guide. I just used this to flush my VS, which it sorely needed after 5 years of abuse. It has a small leak somewhere, mechanic said not worth fixing, so mum has been topping it up, burning through several litres a month. Because she used to use so much she only bought the cheap 'Cool team' premix stuff. Horrifying stuff, has 50g per litre ethylene glycol. The cheaper bottle has nothing, even goes as far to advertise it like its a special feature. 'No Ethylene Glycol!' *shakes head*

Needless to say its caused a fair bit of damage. The radiator flush treatment didn't work all that well for me, so I might not use it next time.

Little tip - you can squeeze the upper radiator hose and use it to pump coolant up into thermostat housing.
Step 1 - open bleed screw
step 2 - squeeze hose tightly and hold
step 3 - close bleed screw
step 4 - release hold
repeat until coolant comes out of the hole.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Funny you should said that I do that too.
I also run my heater open for a couple of days and bleed it each day when I get to work.
A bit still comes out each day then right after that.