Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How To Flush A V6 Cooling System

dimcl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Commodore Executive
Hey guys, just wondering if you might have any tips for using a pre-flush product in a VX with a busted radiator. I'm planning on replacing the rad, water pump, hoses and thermostat all at the same time. I want to use a pre-flush chemical before hand, but the problem is that anything that goes into the top of the radiator comes straight out the bottom. I was thinking maybe I could squirt it into the top hose and let it run around the block a bit before putting the new radiator in. Would this work?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not much you can do unfortunately unless you can temporarily plug the hole.

For the flush to work you need to be able to run the engine up to temp and let it idle for about 10 minutes.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Just do it once you replace the radiator. Some additives tell you to remove all coolant and run with water, some quick than others. I only run it until engine reaches temp as i dont want to dislodge seal from previosu Holden Pills or Bars Stop Leak which is the same thing as the pellets but suspended in lubricant and stuff that coats inside of hoses and parts to reduce electrolosis. After a few years you can see this coating etc.

Bars actually make the Pellets for Holden. Dont use chemi weld or copper based sealants or ones which state not for long term use etc. Bars Stop Leak I have used for years now on my engine. When you do a full systme service you can actually see the areas around hoses and so on where potential leaks were blocked.

Also when doing the thermostat, coat the paper gasket with something like Hylomar, No.3 Aviation sealant etc. Helps for a great seal after cleaning the surfaces.

By now by brass bleeder screw isnt in the best of shape. Anyone know if you can get replacement screws ?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
By now by brass bleeder screw isnt in the best of shape. Anyone know if you can get replacement screws ?

VS part number 92062040.
One would think they would fit other models also.
Got one about 2yrs ago would have to ring holden to see if still available.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Your a legend VS Pete. I will try Holden tomorrow.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Ahh my thread is still kicking after all these years...

What you can do with regard to adding a flush is undo the top rad hose at the radiator end and hold the hose upright - then pour the flush in

In order for this to work though, you must have the heater control dial set to hot

Once done, leave the heater in the hot position, replace the hose and clamp and take the car for a quick drive to circulate it through the system. Let it cool off and then commence with the flush

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Yeah Chridda, this thread is one for the ages !

[email protected]

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore vz
I have a VZ and need to flush my radiator . I read a article saying I should use red coolant is that true ?