Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to remove ignition barrel from a vz executive

impulsesv6

Alloytec Garage
Reaction score
Members Ride
A quick Alloytec
have made mine alot better with some WD40...

sprayed the key till dripping and inserted it into the barrel - did this a few times....
and took the light ring out and sprayed around the bit of plastic the key goes in (you will see the bit of plastic that spins against what doesnt - thats where i sprayed)

and working 100% atm

johnom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 3.6 wagon
4XRD, the locking bolt/pin in the columm could be jammed, try moving the car back and forth or even turning one of the front wheels by hand to release the force on the bolt/pin. I own a VZ with 69,000kms and this happened to me yesterday. A locksmith told me to try it, it worked the first time and got me half way home when I decieded to stop at a servo for a top-up, it jammed again. No matter how much pushing & WD40 in the lock, it would not release again. I rang a mate ( VR 5 litre and 1650 kg rated tow bar) and rented a car carrier from the servo. I think car and trailer weighed 2100-2200 kgs but we got it home only 5kms away. I was in luck as the front wheels were locked in the straight position. Now to pull apart the columm.

slidways

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz acclaim
Hi guys u ll find this a major floor with commodores from vn 2 vz and also vectras and barinas it is caused by the locking pin in the ignition barrel wearing out. When its stinking hot is normally when it locks up the pin gets very hot and jams in place. It can be temp fixed wif wd 40 and a small pointy tool. But the fact is it will jam up again u need to replace the barrel this is a fairly straight forward procedure as long as u get your locksmith 2 key it up 4 u. If u have any qeustions dont hesitate to ask

4XRD-VZ Calais

Reaction score
Members Ride
EK Civic/AE111 Levin
Hi guys u ll find this a major floor with commodores from vn 2 vz and also vectras and barinas it is caused by the locking pin in the ignition barrel wearing out. When its stinking hot is normally when it locks up the pin gets very hot and jams in place. It can be temp fixed wif wd 40 and a small pointy tool. But the fact is it will jam up again u need to replace the barrel this is a fairly straight forward procedure as long as u get your locksmith 2 key it up 4 u. If u have any qeustions dont hesitate to ask

umm..sounds about right. because my calais is always parked outside (without any sort of cover) and it gets bloody hot inside. Fijian weather plus dark blue paint plus black leather....its gonna get hawt!!

and i was a bit reluctant to try ur WD 40 method.. since i was afraid it would do more damage. (remember parts here are very expensive to get.)

holdon !!

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz aclaim
hey guys took all your advise and went with a hammer,screwdriver with some brute force and ignorance and mannaged to turn the key and it worked so does any one know how to take the barrel out

Veriton

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L VZ
I've never had to yet on a VY/VZ, how ever I have done heaps from VR/VS to VT/VX models and they all have a small hole you stick something small and right angle into it, push the pin down and pull it out (irony however is that you'll need the key in the ON (ignition) stage to make this work, if you manage to finally turn it, I recommend you do this prior to turning it off, then simply stick a flat head screw driver down the barrel housing to turn off the switch, or pull it out, however you can't pull the switch out with the barrel still in).

kblume

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina V6
Seems to be quite common, only way to fix properly is to replace the barrel. Lubing it up wont last very long. If you cant get the key to turn and need to start it, give the key a sharp tap with a hammer whilst turning.. Does the trick :)

Veriton

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L VZ
Seems to be quite common, only way to fix properly is to replace the barrel. Lubing it up wont last very long. If you cant get the key to turn and need to start it, give the key a sharp tap with a hammer whilst turning.. Does the trick :)
Well the barrel, not the key. You might break the key if struck with a hammer :p.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
the barrel also wont turn if the car thinks it's the wrong key

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450