Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how to remove ignition barrel from a vz executive

Vee0710

Reaction score
Members Ride
??
VY commodore...
This is the second time I'm replacing this silly thing! The first time I had to get my old man to help me cause I didn't have the same strength as a man and it was so jammed that the key wouldn't turn. I think he went at it with a drill Until it came out... Wouldn't personally recommend it but it did the trick and saved us from calling a locksmith. RAA didn't do anything to help so wouldn't bother calling them.

This time I noticed the signs early on and got onto buying a new one from just commodore spares $40. I've been doing it by myself and it is soooo fiddly! I bought the whole barrel so no need to take it apart and mess with all the pins!

First I unattached the battery and I took off the bottom fuse cover.
Then I took off the steering column housing (black plastic) which only has one screw from the bottom.
Then I had to take off one of the clips with wiring on the top right side of the steering wheel to expose the little pin hole. A small Alan key should do the trick. Made sure my key was on accessories, put the Alan key in to press on the latch on the barrel and it just popped out.

Took off the immobiliser, put the new one back in and that was it. I had no idea what I was looking for so it took a few hours but easily doable if you have a bit of mechanical know how! Good luck guys!

wade ssz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ssz
This post from 5 years ago man. I'd hope they got there barrels out by now lol

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Hi guys u ll find this a major floor with commodores from vn 2 vz and also vectras and barinas it is caused by the locking pin in the ignition barrel wearing out. When its stinking hot is normally when it locks up the pin gets very hot and jams in place. It can be temp fixed wif wd 40 and a small pointy tool. But the fact is it will jam up again u need to replace the barrel this is a fairly straight forward procedure as long as u get your locksmith 2 key it up 4 u. If u have any qeustions dont hesitate to ask

Bit of a dig, but didn't want to start a new thread. Given this is the issue, is there any fix?
Have replaced the barrel twice in the last 24 months, and it looks like this is the issue. Due to parking at work and home, the ute spends most it's time outside. Can't really afford to replace barrels every 12 months..... Is there a better fix?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Maybe get a fresh cut for the key blade. Get it done to the code rather than copying the old key blade.

New barrel and worn key cause problems? @Marras

Reactions: Lex

Marras

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS
Maybe get a fresh cut for the key blade. Get it done to the code rather than copying the old key blade.

New barrel and worn key cause problems? @Marras
Yes a new barrel and worn keys will likely cause an issue. A new key cut to code and a worn barrel is generally ok.

Copying a worn key is not always the best. Even copying a new key is not 100% accurate if the machine is not spot on.