Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VY] How To: Spray your headlights black

emir3008

Reaction score
Website
emir3008.deviantart.com
Members Ride
VS Calais
I started doing this on my VS but for anyone with a VS thats doing it make sure you have really bright lights, the standard bulbs come out a bit dull.

but it looks good, ill post a picture up tomorrow when i finish, i managed to get one side done earlier.

emir3008

Reaction score
Website
emir3008.deviantart.com
Members Ride
VS Calais
Well here it is, i had to mask off the upper part of the headlights, and spray the bottom bit, i threw in some H4 Platinum bulbs in, and it looks good as.

dscf0007800x600.jpg

dscf0003800x600.jpg

dscf0001800x600.jpg

ALL-STOCK-VY

Count Your Blessings
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
This might sounds stupid.. but you remove the globes before putting it into the oven right? and how do you seal it back up.. is more glue needed or whatever is left will be enough? and do u heat it back up again or just sick it together..? I tend to #### alot of things up so I am hesitant to try this lol but it looks soo good and is soo cheap I just have too try it.

How would i go about cleaning the inside of the lenses because their really dusty and starting to mist in some areas.. also another reason I wana open em.

another thing.. im thinking about chucking some drls in the lights.. just like the after-market ones that are now being sold now... 3 issues, how will the heat when glueing back together affect the drls, how do I stick em to the light so the never fall off because #### opening them back up again.. and.. legality issues of a home-made drl headlight lol ADR Approved..?:D

StormVY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Storm Ute
Definitely remove the globes first.

I used silicon seal to seal up around the parts that I thought the glue had not come back together properly. If you mold the glue while it is hot and you have just separated it, it should just go back together when you need it to. Plan ahead. Yes, you will eventually need to heat it up again to reseal it.

You will have easy access to clean the inside of the front of lenses when they are open. Ensure there is no moisture or streaking after you have finished cleaning. I am hesitant to advise you to use Windex as I am not sure how it reacts under high heat. I assume it should be alright.

Not sure about the DRLs. It would be complicated as you would need to drill a hole in the enclosure to run the wire to power them. You would also need to find an adhesive that would stick them down and handle the intense heat of high beams or a hot summer day. If you are inexperienced, maybe just put them outside the enclosure like a few people on the forums have done, or try this.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
I'm tempted to try this on my stato foglights

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
do it Troy ... the genuine WL ones cost a motza

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
Couldnt get them seperated so i gave up...

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
hmmmmm, so this is a LITTLE off topic, however i am thinking of painting my lights in the process (if i can be stuffed pulling the drivers apart) so anyway, how err, i'll go with unsafe, will it be for me to chuck a cracked headlight in the oven? (or even under a heat gun, depending on how keen i get before i can get a heat gun) i'm thinking there's a fair chance there could be a slight explosion of glass, or at least the crack extending, but.. i'm sort of unsure, what does everyone else think?

just i kind of had a spider crawl up my jumper whilst swapping globes in headlights that weren't in a car, which resulted in me putting the headlight down in a hurry, and putting a two inch crack on one side of the lense, so i go buy another passanger vr/vs headlights to find that the chrome on the inside has gone to crap, half of its either flaking off or losing its colour. i figure, the logical thing to do when the casing of one is perfect with a crap lense, and the other the opposite would be to swap them around and chuck the crappy one, so i remove the clips, remember seeing this thread and all about the glue, and the oven did come to mind, but i was very sceptical of trying it until i could find this again..

However even so, i'm still worried i'm gonna end up sending glass flying through the kitchen at a stupid speed, if i was nearby that could result in a fun trip to the hospitol explaining whats happened to me.. :/ cheers guys :)

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
If i remember correctly, the VN-VS headlights simply unclip, you dont need to heat them up, just take off the metal clips.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
boo troy ... try harder