Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hsv senator vr 185 cam choice

X

xfiles

hi guys, im after a cam for my vr hsv senator 185, what would the best cam be with best power results without having to do any head work or lifters?

geardys

GEARDY
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 v8 ute 5sp
you have to do lifters when ever u change form the current cam to a new one..
you would also won't to add new valve springs , and a new timing chain plus a gasket set. that way u'll be right from the word go. and if u won't to go even further go for new collets and valve locks and maybe even new pushrods.

may i ask id u allready have a good exhaust, (hsv exhaust that u have is ok [better then std commodore] but there are way better brands out there, e.g pacemaker extractors) and i'd also add a K&N air filter.

with all those goodies go something around a crow stage 2 spec. that way u shouldn't need to touch the head but it would be better if u did give it a mild port and polish and maybe even a little plan to increase the compression ratio.

i was told that this should give around 210kws.
also try a COME package that will give a little more or a CRANE package.

but if you only won't to do new lifters and cam go for a stage 1 crow spec.

enjoy

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.2ltr car
xfiles said:
hi guys, im after a cam for my vr hsv senator 185, what would the best cam be with best power results without having to do any head work or lifters?

i guess the cam choice really depends on what charactor you want your engine to have. Someting like a crane 276 will give good idle, pull well to low-mid 5000revs and work fine with an auto.

If you are abit more adventoruos you can consider a crane 284, which will definetly be lumpy at idle, and will need upgraded valve springs (say 120lb/in-seated pressure) to work well. With updadted springs you could turn low 6000rpm withthat cam. With this cam it will work fine with std compression, but would love to have extra compression (say around 9.5:1 to work best). :yeah:

geardys

GEARDY
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 v8 ute 5sp
yeah if i was going to go for a crane cam it would be:

CAM USE GRIND NO. CD218-88 (CAMPART NO.976811)

Deg. Adv. Dur. is 284 Int. 284 Exh.

this will give a Fair idle with lope, strong low-mid range street and strip performance. Works well in autos with basic street modifications.BASIC RPM 2300-5300

The stage 2 crow is:
Deg. Adv. Dur. is 282 Int. 276 Exh.

or u could use the 48921(part number) crow cam that is:
Deg. Adv. Dur. is 285 Int. 285 Exh.

so yeah the crane should give u a little more Kw's over the stage 2 cam but would be near equal to the 48921 crow.

but i wouldn't use a grind over the cranes 284 unless u port/polish and plane ur heads and plus the power will comes on later in the rev range and therefor not all that good for everyday driving. unless u allways drive it around or above 5000rpm!!

either way Crow or Crane its up to you.