Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] Install a catch can on a ecotec V6

Shooter03

Nek Minnit
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz wagon
When installing this on a alloytec do I use the hose that is joined to the air intake just after the MAF, in other words the catch can would go in that line before it joins up the the air intake tube. Is that right? I'll put a pic up of the one I mean when I get home.

Posted with my iPhone 4s through tapatalk

Timmay33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX commodore
I am looking to do this to my vx l36.

I am trying to understand the flow of air here. Does the air go through the pipe from the TB to the LIM, into the crank, out the PCV and into the plenum?

So by blocking the PCV you are causing the gases to flow in the reverse up to the TB, when the crank is over pressurised (ie gases getting in by blow-by)?

mutley hee hee

Reaction score
Members Ride
toyota surf
HI Folks i have been reading this thread and it is interesting,
i have an ecotec v6 series 2(standard) in a 4wd (Toyota surf), when i am off road and climb steep hills there is massive amounts of bright blue smoke pouring out of the exhaust,however it stops as soon as i get back on level ground,the engine does not use oil other times. not at start up either.
do you guys think the catch can system would remedy this??? or is there more going on!!
cheers mark

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Blue exhaust smoke indicates there is oil burning in the combustion chamber. Maybe number 5 and 6 cylinder oil control rings on the pistons are worn, allowing oil to push past the compression rings and burn in the combustion chamber. What about going downhill and what degree elevation do you experince the change in exhaust smoke? I don't believe an oil catch can will solve this problem, I'd be pointing towards a baffle installed in the sump. Proper troubleshooting and diagnosis is key here.

vnturbswag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn turbo
hi guys, I have turbo'd my vn commodore. the original motor was a s1, I had to replace my rear main seal and in doing so I learnt a lot about the difference in cranks from s1 to s2 etc. I decided to get a vr motor as I figured it was easier to find manual parts if I needed to. on the new motor it runs and sounds sweet, the turbo is going nice but I do get the occasional puff of smoke plus I have noticed oil is spitting out the dipstick plus it popped out a section of the passenger side rocca cover gasket. my thinking is that it is something to do with it not being able to breath enough. possibly the little hose from the manifold to the bottom of the tb?? can any1 help me on this one or have any suggestions??

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VN is a bit different to VS but you need to remove the pipe/hose going from the TB to the manifold because with it fitted, every time you boost the engine your also pressurising the crank case.

vnturbswag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn turbo
thanks immortality :) I gave it a go and all appeared awesome for the first 30mins, then my idle slightly changed and it felt like before and at the very start of the turbo spooling up the motor was bogging down like it was retarded and turbo wasn't as affective. I plugged that hose back on for 10 mins and all went back to normal minus revs idling at 200 less, taken hose back off again and it feels good again with no oil spitting but havnt got to drive it long enough to see if it goes retarded again. do you know if there is a sensor attached to that vaccum hose?? and is it illegal to have that breather not attached back into tb?? maybe I could plumb it back the airfilter b4 the turbo like the blow off valve??

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You need to remove that hose and block the fitting on the TB and block the fitting on the manifold.

IF you want to be anal, than yes, it is illegal to remove that hose because your making the PCV system in-operative (sort off). Most folks would fit a small breather filter on one or both of the rocker covers and be done with it. On your engine (VN s2 to VR) the PCV valve is located under a large nut at the front of the manifold, next to where the thermostat housing is bolted to the intake manifold. I would recommend that you clean it and make sure it works. Some folks remove/block this and than set up an external PCV/catch can to keep it semi-legal. Having said that, if a cop pulls you over, he's gonna get you for the turbo conversion and probably won't worry much about a catch can/PCV system.

VN series 1 is easy to modify because it already has an external PCV valve so it's very easy to plumb in a catch can :)

vnturbswag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn turbo
I am going to try get this passed as legal. I am to believe in Adelaide they only do a emmisions test and check for upgraded brakes. as I haven't changed fuel setup my emmissions should remain the same as standard even with a rev as the hobb switch don't kick in till 6psi on the boost hose which u need pressure for eg a dyno or driving so it wont affect a test at motor reg :). back to the topic lol, so you say to block both the tb and manifold ends? if I may ask is the boost pushing through the tb end of the hose into the manifold giving it crank case pressure and pushing gaskets out and pushing oil where it don't want to go?
I don't know much about this pcv valve so ill go look it up and check out its purpose and how it works. thanks once again :)

vnturbswag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn turbo
wouldn't it be better for the rocca to breath or is there meant to be some pressure their?