Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VR-VS] Install a catch can on a ecotec V6

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Not reading though all that, link me to what ever it is you want me to see.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Post #1, half way down page.
Optional extras, if you want to ensure maximum oil vapour removal like I do you can fit some steel wool inside the catch can before the air outlet.
To achieve this I have removed the top of the catch can and using some 2 pot epoxy, glued a small steel tube inside one of the hose tail fittings, I’ve then fitted some steelo pad inside the top of the catch can so that any air been sucked out will have to go through the steelo pad. I’ve then re-assembled the catch can ready for installation on the car.

Pics included.

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
If your rings are good and you're not getting much blow-by you shouldnt have much crap going into your plenum.

I dont see the point unless you are going forced induction or you have a large cam.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Post #1, half way down page.

Pics included.
I see. Still not the point he said a catch can is a catch can it is not. so anyone not reading the 1st post (like me) will see this an buy elcheapo catch can an it will not work. unless they do the above things. ;) I dont really care as I have a can and its works great just wanted to clear up the part about catch cans all being the same.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
I see. Still not the point he said a catch can is a catch can it is not. so anyone not reading the 1st post (like me) will see this an buy elcheapo catch can an it will not work. unless they do the above things. ;) I dont really care as I have a can and its works great just wanted to clear up the part about catch cans all being the same.

Sweet, the most interesting thing in this thread is modifying the PVC valve inside the plenum, this is where all of the oil get in.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah not to clued up on the v6's mine is on an ls1 where the PCV is an inline one.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That ^^^ is not ture, you want a catch can with an internal baffle or a removeable top so you can stick some steel wool inside it to catch the oil becasue without a baffle or something to catch the oil it will still make it through the can. Thats probably why you found very little oil inside your catch can immortality it is not getting caught in the can.

Ok, not all catch cans are made equal, but then why spend big coin on something when you can modify something yourself and get if for a lot less.

If your rings are good and you're not getting much blow-by you shouldnt have much crap going into your plenum.

I dont see the point unless you are going forced induction or you have a large cam.

And yet take the plenum cover off any high mileage ecotec and you'll see it covered in crap.......

The factory PCV system is set up so that the crankcase is ventilated with fresh air, so even if the rings are good a certain amount of air is going to circulate through the PCV system because that is what it is designed to do and unfortunately you will always get a small amount of oil vapour with it

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Yeah, me too lol.

I've done a few searches but not alot comes up for the poor ol' L67... well not to answer the questions I have anyway, there is definately no shortage of info on this forum, that's for sure! Been thinking about this for a while, but I don't even know where the hell my PCV is. lol

There are threads on L67 torque.com and your PCV is under the little plate that is held on by too bolts (one also does the cover) thats on top of the supercharger

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Just read this entire thread. Great information, well informed and backed by facts and photos, and explained clearly. Nice job, rep added.

vx limo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais L67
There are threads on L67 torque.com and your PCV is under the little plate that is held on by too bolts (one also does the cover) thats on top of the supercharger

Sweet, thanks mate, I'll go look.... Is that the lil' black (almost diamond shape) thing to the rear left side of the blower?.... was wondering why that was there. lol.

Thanks for your help.
Chris