Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Keys and key fobs for VF series cars

Red Centre Bluey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Caprice WN, Caprice VR
Got broken into this morning, and 1 key each for our 2 WN Caprices got hoisted, teenage thieves.
Cops asked us to take steps to secure the cars (Blocking in with another).
I spoke to HCC to find out if a keyfob can be disabled, either by them or via the car, sadly, no.
Also suggested an idea that if the missing key is used to try to gain entry, it instead triggers the alarm system to simulate an all-out Armageddon attack. Sorry, can't be done. Pfffttt! Replacement keys are expensive, and getting one takes awhile (especially around here) and then reprogram car/keys.
The keys do have an individual identity, and the suggestion was made, gotta do 2 at a time, unless they can reprogram the existing.
Nevertheless, the idea that the keys do have an individual identity, that makes the car do things differently to usual means that I am increasingly interested in the scenario above where a stolen key does the opposite to what it would normally do.
I am interested in hearing what other people may think.

Discuss

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Opps better not say that.
Edit: "Blah blah blah blah"

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Pain in the @ss, but a secondary immobilizer might be the way to go, to change keys in a VF would involve all modules to be reprogrammed & a costly nightmare to you.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Insurance doesn't cover this ?

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Pain in the @ss, but a secondary immobilizer might be the way to go, to change keys in a VF would involve all modules to be reprogrammed & a costly nightmare to you.

In the case of a VE, when I bought my SS (used) it only came with one key. I found a locksmith locally that could supply complete new key. When they program new key, part of the sequence is existing key needs to be available as well. The process excludes any other key, so even if you subsequently found the missing key it couldn't be used again (I guess unless you go through the process again). Is the VF different to VE in respect of key programming?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
VF/WN are based on the "Global A" electrical architecture - all cars on this platform need two keys to be present for key reprogramming. They should be able to reprogram the existing if you have a spare key still. That being said the locks will still be the same and scum will still be able to gain entry, just not start the car.

My suggestion, refer to your insurer - most have stolen key cover, you can get the locks changed (should just be door barrel) and 2x new keys - this will change everything so the existing key won't even get into your car, let alone start it. I've done this for a few of my customers before via insurance.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Am I right in saying that even if you get new key fobs, the stolen keys could still be used the old fashioned manual way to open the doors and pinch things from within?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
My suggestion, refer to your insurer - most have stolen key cover, you can get the locks changed (should just be door barrel) and 2x new keys - this will change everything so the existing key won't even get into your car, let alone start it. I've done this for a few of my customers before via insurance.
As @Smashfist stated, refer to your insurer.

Only thing i’ll add is read your home & contents policy first as key theft is usually covered and takes care of lock replacement costs. As insurance companies can sometimes be shifty, they may try to move this to your car insurance policy which may need another excess to be paid. Unless the home & contents policy is clearly worded that vehicle keys replacement is not included, resist such shifty tactics and push to have the issue covered by your home contents (usually lower excess which is a bonus). As such, it is important to understand the wording in your home policy before you contact the insurance company so you best present the issue (in your favour) to them.

Good luck...

jelliott5

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve series 2 ute
Hi all,
I have purchased a series 2 sv6 ute and it doesnt come with any keys.
I have found an ignition barrel aswell as a brand new remote for the key. my question is, how can i program the new key to the car.

any help is appreciated
Thanks