Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 S/C Motor Struggles On Cold Start.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd be looking at the IAC stepper motor as well, each time the car started it resets the idle, if the TB is all gunked up it will cause trouble. While you have it apart you may as well clean the MAF.

Fitting a pod filter will alter the tune a little but the PCM is self learning and will adjust. IF the pod filter isn't enclosed than I would HIGHLY recommend that you do fit an enclosed pod filter. I recommend the MACE CAI.

Tuning it won't solve the problem but cost a lot of coin for a full dyno tune.

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged Series II VY.
Gave it a good clean, along with the TB. Neither were all that gunky, but definitely had a bit of buildup (not enough to interfere though, imo). I'll wait a few hours for the car to cool down, and then we'll see how it goes.

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vacuum leak due to popped off vac line or perished lines. Definitely not uncommon with these engines.

Definitely wasn't fixed by the cleaning. Any idea where the vacuum leak is likely to be? Haven't seen any obvious leaks anywhere.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Light an incense stick and wave it around the vacuum hoses while the engine is running.
If there are any leaks, the smoke will get sucked in the leak.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holistic engine healing :hmmm:

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I would have thought an vacuum leak would possibly increase the idle ( i guess more so on a MAP based tune, MAF I guess....) ?

Does the engine use any coolant? what is the fuel consumption like? How old are the plugs and leads?

What i'm leading to is engine cylinder contamination after engine shut down, either fuel (leaking injector) or coolant ( old intake manifold gaskets = common problem) which can cause a miss-fire when starting the engine. Tired ignition system components can cause similar problems (plugs/leads and even old ignition coils). A dirty/sticking PCV can also cause cylinder contamination if it's allowing excess oil to be sucked into the engine cylinders.

Is the engine noisy/tapppety on first start up? A sticky lifter can cause issues, once the oil pressure comes up as well as the oil temp the lifter will clear and function properly. Try new oil/ filter and maybe some nulon lifter free

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
The engine isn't noisy or any different to usual driving, except obviously the shudder every now and then as it struggles. I'm gonna ask my first amateur question... Where exactly are all the vacuum hoses on my L67? Can't say I've ever touch a vacuum on any car I've ever owned either, so if you can point out where I should blow the smoke, that'd be handy!

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
A slight miss won't nearly cause the engine to stall. If the problem is that bad it might be an ignition coil causing 2 cylinders to miss. Have a good look at the coils, look for cracks in the casings.

I'd also pull all the plugs and see if they all look the same.

jackcurrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
I might have found my problem. Does anyone know which vacuum it is that is literally connected directly under the pulley, on the block. Like 2inches or so down from the pulley. There is absolutely no hose connected, and the previous owner has half-assed some tape onto it, not really sealing it at all.

Attachments

• Holden-VT-Supercharged6.jpg
    Holden-VT-Supercharged6.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 687