Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 engine oil recommendations

Cohen

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 Clubsport
Has anyone tried Penrite HPR5 5w 40 in their LS3. I'm due for a change with 110000km on the clock and looking at trying the Penrite HPR 5 5w 40 to see if it will quiet the lifters on cold start-up.

Does anyone have any experience with this oil or recommendations?

Thanks Heaps.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If you have noisy lifters I'd be looking at getting them replaced before you wipe a cam lobe.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Try running a bottle of Nulon Lifter Free.

Cohen

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 Clubsport
thanks for the responses everyone, lifters aside.

I thought the HPR-5 would be a better option over the ENVIRO+ GF-S for overall engine protection considering the added zinc and that.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

I thought the HPR-5 would be a better option over the ENVIRO+ GF-S for overall engine protection considering the added zinc and that.
If you're looking for better protection consider Penrite 10 Tenths that's their premium product for these engines, especially at high revs.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I see no harm going to a slightly thicker oil. GM is renowned for being spot on clearances in their engines.....

(does this need a /sarcasm warning re: LS engine clearances?)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

ZDDP/ZDTP (zinc) in oil can kill catalytic converters over time which is why modern oils don’t have the same levels (or any?) zinc in them…

There are zinc replacement additives that are supposed to be as effective but I don’t know the chemistry of such and whether they are or are not better/worse than zinc.

So if you use oils with added ZDDP/ZDTP, such could cost you a bomb to fix the check engine lamp cause you may end with upgrading to a 100 Cell cat with bigger exhaust and a tune :p

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Those Penrite oils with ZDDP are at levels that shouldn't **** the CAT.

I've been running those oils for a long time and have not noticed any issues on our car with reduced performance that a blocked CAT would exibit. Interestingly it also quietened my sometimes noisy lifters when getting close to the next oil change. I know it's a V6 motor but they are the exact same lifters as the LS motors.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Try running a bottle of Nulon Lifter Free.
Can’t hurt. I put a bottle through my SSV a couple of services ago just as a precautionary measure.

One thing to check is the oil cooler port cover on the side of the engine (passenger side at the back) for oil leaks. If it’s got a leak then the oil drains out from the top end and the lifters clatter on startup.

My lifters were rattling for a couple of seconds on startup which stopped for the most part after I fixed the oil leak from the oil cooler port. It does still do it if the car has been sitting for a few days but that’s probably to be expected.