Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 engine oil recommendations

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I don't think using HPR5 in an LS will be harmful, it's basically a 'universal oil'.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You'd think Penrite would know something about it. If there oils were found to be contributing to major CAT failures they'd probably be getting sued by govco for violating EPA regulations.

Our Calais is over 280,000km on factory CAT's and the last 100,000 have been hard and a lot of that has been with Penrite oils running double the factory boost.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
You'd think Penrite would know something about it. If there oils were found to be contributing to major CAT failures they'd probably be getting sued by govco for violating EPA regulations.

Our Calais is over 280,000km on factory CAT's and the last 100,000 have been hard and a lot of that has been with Penrite oils running double the factory boost.
I think it depends on what the oil company recommends for a particular make and model. Castrol have dropped a lot off as of late last year, my wife's 2018 BMW X3 M40i was recommended by Castrol to use Edge 5w30 A3B4. Now their oil recommendation for that car is "refer to manufacturer." There was a particulate filter added to that model in 2020 if perhaps that has something to do with Castrol's deletion.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Diesel?

They are getting real tough on emissions on those and all those extra bits in the exhaust systems are more prone to getting blocked.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I think it depends on what the oil company recommends for a particular make and model. Castrol have dropped a lot off as of late last year, my wife's 2018 BMW X3 M40i was recommended by Castrol to use Edge 5w30 A3B4. Now their oil recommendation for that car is "refer to manufacturer." There was a particulate filter added to that model in 2020 if perhaps that has something to do with Castrol's deletion.
That's true, there is a hell of a lot of ass covering in the land of oil recommendations. Gallons of it. They only recommend whatever grade the manufacturer puts in the book. Simply because that covers their arse should anything go wrong. I have asked penrite and Valvoline similar questions before by email. Can I use Synpower in my alloy tec type thing. First answer is they recommend what Holden states.
And I said I don't want to use that, and why can't u use Synpower.??
To which they respond something like well Synpower is a premium oil it would do a fantastic job. But they recommend what Holden says :) LoL

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
That's true, there is a hell of a lot of ass covering in the land of oil recommendations. Gallons of it. They only recommend whatever grade the manufacturer puts in the book. Simply because that covers their arse should anything go wrong. I have asked penrite and Valvoline similar questions before by email. Can I use Synpower in my alloy tec type thing. First answer is they recommend what Holden states.
And I said I don't want to use that, and why can't u use Synpower.??
To which they respond something like well Synpower is a premium oil it would do a fantastic job. But they recommend what Holden says :) LoL
Penrite gets around the arse covering equation by having a preferred oil and a few alternative oils, with the usual disclaimers of course.

For my SSV it recommends Enviro+ GF-S 5w30 but has HPR5 5w40 as an alternative so that’s what I run as a slightly heavier oil is normally beneficial to an older engine.

I don’t think I could safely run my SSV on a 30 weight oil as the oil pressure at idle would probably be too low. As it is my oil pressure reads about 90kpa at hot idle, which is 13psi assuming the dash gauge is accurate. You want to have at least 10-15psi at idle so mine is already on the marginal side using a 40 weight oil, with the caveat of the gauge being accurate.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Penrite gets around the arse covering equation by having a preferred oil and a few alternative oils, with the usual disclaimers of course.

For my SSV it recommends Enviro+ GF-S 5w30 but has HPR5 5w40 as an alternative so that’s what I run as a slightly heavier oil is normally beneficial to an older engine.

I don’t think I could safely run my SSV on a 30 weight oil as the oil pressure at idle would probably be too low. As it is my oil pressure reads about 90kpa at hot idle, which is 13psi assuming the dash gauge is accurate. You want to have at least 10-15psi at idle so mine is already on the marginal side using a 40 weight oil, with the caveat of the gauge being accurate.
id get yours checked out 90kpa isnt right so something is not working right, LS should be about the 200-250kpa at hot idle depending on oil, either sensor isnt right or u have low pressure or galley to sensor is blocked (dod should have plenty of pressure if yours is that) also check the data reading as it will be actual sender where dash may be a calculation just encase

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
And with lots of vehicle manufacturers not using industry oil standards (ASEA, SAE & API) and instead going their own proprietary route (like GM using DEXOS), commercial agreements abound which really benefit vehicle manufacturers and negatively impact vehicle owners.

It wouldn't surprise me that such commercial agreements & licensing constraints has some bearing on what can be claimed as compatable oil which then hamstrings the oil manufacturers, more so than simple arse covering for fear of vehilce owners litigation :mad:

It's become a proprietary **** show whereas using industry standard oil spec grades is the better road travelled for the buying public. But when manufactures want to play proprietary, it can impact warranty and it's a hard road to follow, so we pay the price as we get shafted :oops:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I just bought this for next service. Supercheap had good special. Not dexos certified but all specs tick boxes for VF

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240418_104154_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240418_104154_Gallery.jpg
    578.8 KB · Views: 44

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I just bought this for next service. Supercheap had good special. Not dexos certified but all specs tick boxes for VF
This one superseded the previous Mobil 1 ‘newer formula’ or similar wording. Would not give a care in the world about that Dexos wording - this is fine and probably remains one of the better ones on the market.