Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ly7 power

Red p plates

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Holden ve Berlina
Hey guy i just got a 2009 ve Berlina I was wondering what should I do to it I’d like to get a little more power out of it but not brake the bank to hard anyone got any suggestions

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
If I were you, I'd just put some SS mufflers, cold air intake (be careful where you place it as it can sometimes negatively affect performance) and a nice set of wheels and that's probably all you need without spending stupid money on it... Also, keep your car maintained....

Are you sure your car is an LY7? I thought Berlina's had the LE0 4spd transmission or being a 2009 model, it may have the 3 litre with the 6 speed...

Red p plates

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Holden ve Berlina
Cheers thanks
Also I was under the impression it was ly7 as that’s what I was told and I thought they had the same engine as the omega I’ll have a look

Also any ideas on what size wheels

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Cheers thanks
Also I was under the impression it was ly7 as that’s what I was told and I thought they had the same engine as the omega I’ll have a look

Also any ideas on what size wheels
You should take a photo of the engine bay and post it up on here, that should tell us what engine you have based off the engine cover...

With what sized wheels, I'm not 100% sure but I wouldn't go any larger than 20 inches (even they're a bit big)... @RevNev is somebody who will have more of an idea on suspension and wheel set-ups...

You could also lower the car as well (though remember that the ride will become much firmer), and change around diff gears for more low end grunt, though these suggestions are getting up there in price...

P.S: With SS mufflers, you should find them pretty cheap and search for NON-AFM mufflers

Hope this helps :)

Red p plates

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Holden ve Berlina
Thanks for the help
Also here’s a photo of the engine

Attachments

• IMG_4033.jpeg
    IMG_4033.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 85

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega

Red p plates

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Holden ve Berlina
I got a YM9.5 that’s the ly7 or Leo? The vin plate says ly7 so it should be the Ly7 right?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
IMG_3595.jpeg

This plate will have what engine is in it. There is almost nothing that can be done to them to improve performance or power. Not for cheap.

Getting into these motors will be expensive for the most basic things if you are paying someone and to do your self, it’s not an introduction to automotive mechanics type job.

The older pre VZ motors were easier to do things to. The LS motors are easy. But the Alloytec will be butt hurt.

A throttle controller, SS mufflers is about it. Get a tune done. Leave it alone. This is not the car you’re looking for to modify an engine on.

Red p plates

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Holden ve Berlina
Yeah ok so it’s an ly7 I’ll just get a tune then and leave the engine at that thanks for the help

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Keep in mind every time you go up a wheel size the cost of the tyre goes up correspondingly. The rear tyres on my ve are 275/35/19. They cost $480 each from Costco.