Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Mace VE V6 Tune Review

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
MACE, i've emailed you an updated DYNO showing torque and kw increase. Also I need to go back in for an update from the tuner, ill do it after my exams, he doesnt expect it to increase much more, it's just a abit in the rev range 4-5k where he reckons it leans out abit too much.

Cheers!!

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Just thought I'd pop up my preliminary thoughts on this tune as I purchased the interface unit and a tune and flashed it in yesterday. Now as some of you may be aware I'd already had my car tuned but the idea of trying out a remote tune via a software medium such as this with the possibilities it holds for things such as forced induction, continual tune refinement and transmission management I couldn't pass up the opportunity to give it a go.

Firstly let me just say what an excellent company MACE is to deal with....thanks Steve. Pre-purchase all my questions were dealt with quickly and openly. Purchase was easy and transparent with full invoicing and then rapid postage. Items delivered as described.

Tune (flash) procedure was quick and easy to perform with full easy to read instruction provided in PDF format. All that was required was the interface for the OBDII port on the car, a usb cable, the software and laptop running XP or later. So far I've flashed in a base ECM and TCM tune with ease.

It's been pretty wet here in Canberra so not had a great test yet but my initial thoughts have been that it is showing some good gains (pants dyno) through the mid and upper ranges but also a little crisper down low. Over the next few days I will be collecting run data from the car using the same interface/laptop/software setup and then sending them off to Steve and the team at MACE for fine tuning based on my current car setup and performance. I'm also writing my list of TCM (transmission) changes that I'd like the tuner to make such as increasing RPM cutoff to 7000RPM, reducing the torque mangement percentages applied to the 6spd auto from factory to allow more twist through the box to the road and changing a few shift points to match both the car and the way I like to drive it. There appears to be many options available to the tuner to make both immediate changes and also changes in the future depending on what mods are done next. The speedo calibration to match the 3.7LSD is also perfect since the flash!

Overall this has gone extremely well so far and I am looking forward to making more changes to refine and improve my drive. I will keep you all posted with how it goes over the next few weeks with the TCM changes and fine tuning but to this point I have only positive things to say about MACE, the product and the results.

Cheers

Last edited:

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Cam Steve...sounds sweet as :)

LachieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
Ah excellent Andrew,

Glad to hear it’s all sorted and you’re happy with how she goes :D

The later model the VE, the more that can do done with them, for arguments sake can get rid of the torque management off all together and fully control the 6 speed auto’s, depending on the application (bolt ons, cam boost). This should filter down to the 5 speeds and earlier VE and VZ’s over time.

In regards to the tuning procedure, all people need to do is to give us a list of their current mods, desired outcomes (within reason), and VIN number. We send up the programmer/data logger (which requires a PC) with software and email out a base tune.

Once the base tune is flashed the runs are logged, which need to be emailed back to enable us to revise the tune to suit your car specifically. We then email up a revised tune (where needed) at no cost.

So it’s not just a basic generic tune that you end up with which, depending on the number of logs, can work out to be better then a dyno tune given the additional information under real world conditions :)

At the moment the tunes are on special for $440

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Steve

How do you mean by desired outcomes? Does this refer to the style of driving?

MACE

Reaction score
Cam Steve...sounds sweet as :)
I'll keep this in mind :D

How do you mean by desired outcomes? Does this refer to the style of driving?
Fair question. Basically what I was getting at were certain areas of improvement that you would like to see, such as eliminating a certain flat spot, auto shift a certain way etc. These needs I guess would be related to your driving style.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Steve

LachieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
ok, so this basically doesnt really apply to a Manual SV6.

What about the holding of revs. i have noticed that my car likes to hold revs if you give it a blip of the throttle especially on hot days. not for long times but it can make changing gears annoying as the revs are slowly dropping and you pick a taller gear you cant match the revs properly.

it holds them for approx 1 -2 seconds after the throttle blip.

Would you be able to cure this problem?

And as for headers to be fitted to an SV6 and high flow cats, can you assist with the removal of the Engine check light?

MACE

Reaction score
ok, so this basically doesnt really apply to a Manual SV6.

What about the holding of revs. i have noticed that my car likes to hold revs if you give it a blip of the throttle especially on hot days. not for long times but it can make changing gears annoying as the revs are slowly dropping and you pick a taller gear you cant match the revs properly.

it holds them for approx 1 -2 seconds after the throttle blip.

Would you be able to cure this problem?

And as for headers to be fitted to an SV6 and high flow cats, can you assist with the removal of the Engine check light?

In regards to the throttle blip, we should be able to fix that, while the cats we can definitely fix.

Cheers,
Steve

LachieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
So my SV6 SIDI Manual would be as follows:

Mechanical Mods:

XForce 2.25"cat back (fitted)
Headers (of some sort to be fitted)
Cats ( to be fitted)
Airhammer/Growler Intake Combination (fitted - Airhammer bend into the Growler Box)

Im looking for better throttle response (Currently is a bit delayed on dropping revs to idle). Overall a better increase through the rev range.

Is this the information you require?

I am keen to get this done please outline what other information is required.

Cheers