Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 My Bananas so far..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It's all the same theory for a V6. DeViLisanAnGeL's VQ in should be able to run a 13.9 or around that on a banana manifold and I'm sure the 44mm runners are too big for how his motor is at the moment (they are for the future) but still the manifold has to be worth 3-4 tenths over the banana which is pretty huge really. With skinnier runners if it was to go on a mild 304 I'm sure you could pick up another couple of tenths

simmyz1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III V8 UTE
Here is a few pics of my home made manifold.
10" runners at 44mm cross section, twin 60mm TB's.

Good for a 13.5@102mph on a stock 5L bottom end, 8.5:1 compression, [email protected] on 110 cam, mild port heads, 3k stall and 3.9 gears in a full weight VQ. Exhaust is cheapy ebay extractors on home made 3" system. Run on 18" tyres with stereo and interior intact. Spun to 6200rpm on the strip and it still wanted more revs.

with a mill of the heads, dropped exhaust in say a VN exec (~1350kg instead of 1600kgs+) you'd run a flat 13 no probs.

The manifold out flows the motor but would work even better on, say, 9.5 or 10:1 comp, 286 style cam.

holden_100131_057b.jpg

P1090683Small.jpg

P1090707Small.jpg
good work!, i think i'll go along the same line as you and cut the old runners off and weld some tube in place, should be better for cooling and shape of the runners into the heads...but i'm still a bit confused as to why 10" runners seems to be the go?, are the vl/n group A runners 10"?, i understand the characteristics of the air in the runners against a closed valve but how did everyone come up with the 10" runner?..by the way where did you get the bell mouths from?

Greenfoam if your reading, got the specs on my cam and is as follows;-
dur @ .050" in/ex 205/207..lift in/ex .265/.267..lobe cent in/ex 113/114.. any good for a 355?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
hey just an idea, and shoot me down if necessary:

shouldnt you have a power side and a torque side like the dual planes do? i.e. whichever head is further forward (holden would be the passenger side) whould have the shorter runners?

Chevs are further forward on the passanger side, not Holden.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
hey just an idea, and shoot me down if necessary:

shouldnt you have a power side and a torque side like the dual planes do? i.e. whichever head is further forward (holden would be the passenger side) whould have the shorter runners?

hey?! dual planes have all 8 runners the same length, they are greatly complex in shape for this reason alone:!) what's the crazy talk about power side and torque side

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
good work!, i think i'll go along the same line as you and cut the old runners off and weld some tube in place, should be better for cooling and shape of the runners into the heads...but i'm still a bit confused as to why 10" runners seems to be the go?, are the vl/n group A runners 10"?, i understand the characteristics of the air in the runners against a closed valve but how did everyone come up with the 10" runner?..by the way where did you get the bell mouths from?

Greenfoam if your reading, got the specs on my cam and is as follows;-
dur @ .050" in/ex 205/207..lift in/ex .265/.267..lobe cent in/ex 113/114.. any good for a 355?

Yes both VL and VN group A use 10 inch runners. Calculations of air speed vs rpm and dyno tested and software all agree with 10 inch runners. That's where it comes from :). Engines that need more torque in a lesser rev range use longer runners, Sprint cars for example.

That cam looks way too small for a performance 355 to me and too small for a manifold like this but it will make alot of low end torque for towing boats and such. I heard a rumour Dales bellmouths are made from egg cups?!

simmyz1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III V8 UTE
Yes both VL and VN group A use 10 inch runners. Calculations of air speed vs rpm and dyno tested and software all agree with 10 inch runners. That's where it comes from :). Engines that need more torque in a lesser rev range use longer runners, Sprint cars for example.

That cam looks way too small for a performance 355 to me and too small for a manifold like this but it will make alot of low end torque for towing boats and such. I heard a rumour Dales bellmouths are made from egg cups?!

sweet, i think i'll go a different cam option, i'm looking for those stainless egg cups but can't find them yet, i'll keep looking (meant to be from woolies) and cheers on the 10", thats the length i'll be aiming for.
any suggestions on a cam for me?.. i was thinking of the come racing CSBH462, thats the one they are putting in their motors and say that cam and stroker package should make 245kw, a tune from you and my manifold i should be hitting 280-300kw!! ;-)...thanks for the help

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
hey?! dual planes have all 8 runners the same length, they are greatly complex in shape for this reason alone:!) what's the crazy talk about power side and torque side

the edelbrock performer has a deeper plenum for the drivers side (i think from memory, maybe the passenger) and the runners going to that side are a bit longer

i need to pull my carb off and check which side is what.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
sweet, i think i'll go a different cam option, i'm looking for those stainless egg cups but can't find them yet, i'll keep looking (meant to be from woolies) and cheers on the 10", thats the length i'll be aiming for.
any suggestions on a cam for me?.. i was thinking of the come racing CSBH462, thats the one they are putting in their motors and say that cam and stroker package should make 245kw, a tune from you and my manifold i should be hitting 280-300kw!! ;-)...thanks for the help

245kw that must be at the engine tho?. You'll need very good heads to reach a legit 280 rwkw but that kind of figure is possible if you get the manifold right and have good enough heads. I did a base tune for a car that made about 290rwkw (about 500hp at the flywheel) once I'll ask what cam that had in it (I've forgtten) it ran the flowcraft manifold which is a good bit of gear

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
the edelbrock performer has a deeper plenum for the drivers side (i think from memory, maybe the passenger) and the runners going to that side are a bit longer

i need to pull my carb off and check which side is what.

Yeah deeper plenum but that's only because the runners have to run under the others to be the same length, Maybe edelbrock got it a bit wrong I'm not sure but the more modern dual planes like the torque power for sure have all the same length runners, I reckon even the factory manifold is pretty close