Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 My Bananas so far..

simmyz1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III V8 UTE
24kw that must be at the engine tho?. You'll need very good heads to reach a legit 280 rwkw but that kind of figure is possible if you get the manifold right and have good enough heads. I did a base tune for a car that made about 290rwkw (about 500hp at the flywheel) once I'll ask what cam that had in it (I've forgtten) it ran the flowcraft manifold which is a good bit of gear

yep, that was engine kw..the hunt for power is like getting tattooed, once ya have some, ya just want more..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Maybe. If I had a tattoo I'd be straight to the local laser joint to get it off :p

DeViLisanAnGeL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5L - 12.6@108 stock bottom end & comp
Rumour is true Jason hehe
Stainless egg cups from safeway with the centres machined out and press fit onto the tube. They were like $1.20 each, cheapest bellmouths ever

I agree that the runner diameter is fairly large, and continues all the way to the head. When looking down the runner you can (well, used to be able to) see the back of the valve head and stem, giving a direct shot on the valve.

For it to be optimised for this setup i'd run like, 38-40mm type tube i think.

FWIW I heard the Group A's ran 8" runners? From a few different people. That's the main reason my plenum sits so high in comparison.

At CFC6 I overhead a few people saying my manifold was that high for "wank factor" which made me laugh then get frustrated that people were passing comments with no idea as to the purpose of the thing.

simmyz1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III V8 UTE
Rumour is true Jason hehe
Stainless egg cups from safeway with the centres machined out and press fit onto the tube. They were like $1.20 each, cheapest bellmouths ever

I agree that the runner diameter is fairly large, and continues all the way to the head. When looking down the runner you can (well, used to be able to) see the back of the valve head and stem, giving a direct shot on the valve.

For it to be optimised for this setup i'd run like, 38-40mm type tube i think.

FWIW I heard the Group A's ran 8" runners? From a few different people. That's the main reason my plenum sits so high in comparison.

At CFC6 I overhead a few people saying my manifold was that high for "wank factor" which made me laugh then get frustrated that people were passing comments with no idea as to the purpose of the thing.

how does your set up go for heat?..and your throttle bodies, are they set up as progressive or one str8 thru shaft for both?

DeViLisanAnGeL

Reaction score
Members Ride
It handles heat soak really well. You can always hold you palm flat on the plenum even after sitting in traffic on a warm day, and when you've been driving it gets even cooler, esp on cold nights.

Throttles activate together but not on common shaft, i've used a linkage. Low throttle response is not really an issue, the stall softens it up. Even my girlfriend who is not into cars at all and had never driven anything much more than an auto 1986 corolla drove it fine straight up.

gmh1975

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP SS / HX KINGSWOOD/ 1928 CHEVROLET
Hi guys interesting thread.
I am curently going through the process of making a sheet metal manifold to suit a 304.
I am loosely basing it on a come twin throttle set up.
I will be running an eaton m112 super charger out of a ford lightening on my engine.
Can anyone advise as to what length of runner i should aim for?
The engine is going into a hotrod and will be mainly used for cruising .
In all honesty the super charger is only going to be fitted as eye candy and to fill in the shitloads of height i have in my engine bay.
I do not intend to run mega boost or go over board with engine specs as i want it as a nice cruiser that will sit in trafic all day with no issues.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I beleive if you are running boost, then pretty much run an extremely short runner. Because all the physics of getting the pressure wave hitting that sweet spot goes out the window because your putting positive pressure into the manifold anyway. By running long runners, your basically just impeading the ability for the boost to head directly into the chamber.

DeViLisanAnGeL

Reaction score
Members Ride
As above. Being able the separate the blower from the hot engine is an advantage though, so that would be an aim if i was making it.

(as an aside, my combo which i posted pics of above has gone 13.0@107mph, with only a proper airbox and some heat shielding (and practice). Goes to show on N/A combo's just how important the intake manifold is. Mine will run a very high 12 with full launch and spot on shifts)

Dusty_vs

your resident mechanic
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 vs excecutive sedan
This has got me hooked lol interesting...

Ok so you say that 80-100% engine volume for the plenum.. Then what's the advantage of running trumpets on seperate throttle bodies? I mean.. No plenum so..??

simmyz1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III V8 UTE
still going on this but it's gunna take time...