Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My first V8

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
thanks bro! Yeah FE2 and the wheels are 18". FE2 is the perfect height imo :)

DougoMundo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Lumina
Do you find the ride is a lot firmer (less body roll etc) than a standard suspension setup? I had a ride in my mates BF XR6 and i was amazed at how firm the ride was compared to my lumina. I know it's a much newer car, but it must be possible to mirror it somewhat in my car. Reckon it could be done with just fe2 springs, or will shocks etc need to be changed? Any experience with kings low springs? Cheers

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
Do you find the ride is a lot firmer (less body roll etc) than a standard suspension setup? I had a ride in my mates BF XR6 and i was amazed at how firm the ride was compared to my lumina. I know it's a much newer car, but it must be possible to mirror it somewhat in my car. Reckon it could be done with just fe2 springs, or will shocks etc need to be changed? Any experience with kings low springs? Cheers

My previous car was a Vx Berlina with stock suspension and my SS handles 10x better with FE2 since its meant to be more sport orientated, you can tell the difference easily. The ride is quite a bit rougher but still very comfortable on a good quality road, the low profile tyres make it slightly worse I reckon.

FE2 is roughly the same height as Low King springs I believe, FE2 is springs, rear shocks and front struts (I think, someone might correct me)

I don't know anyone who has used anything other than FE2 as we prefer the practical side of a car lol

But if you do decide to lower your car you should do everything such as springs, shocks/struts, new bushes etc and get a good suspension shop to do it so you know it will be safe.

A second hand FE2 set up is cheap as chips and new you could get em for less than $500 easy. Most of the cost would be in labor.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
IF changing the springs do the shocks as well at least. The XR6 is factory sport like Josh' SS so there's more to it then that but start there.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
I had fe2 as stock on the SS but it was a bit too tall for my liking although ride was good. Went to Superlow springs with short shocks all round as got sick of the too firm ride and scraping on speed humps. Best set up I found now is still short shocks plus kings low springs which are only 10-15mm lower than fe2 but taller than suoerlows by about the same amount ( KYB excel g struts front and KYB short shocks rear, King low all round)..Good height, still comfortable ride even with 20 inch wheels and clears speed humps etc..

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
So the car is currently getting a new steering rack + wheel alignment and trans service, might change the leads and O2 censor to see if fuel use will improve at all? Currently getting around 16L per 100ks. Going on a trip to Vic in a few weeks so will see how it fares on the highway with cruise control.

Also one question, if I get new ECU is it just plug n play or do I have to get it set up or something? since the dyno guy couldn't get the tune off the current one it might be cheaper to just get a new ECU? Thanks in advance

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon

If you want a really firm ride, I also recommend heavy duty sway bars. I put them in my wagon and was amazed at how much body roll they got rid of, even with stock height suspension. It still handle better than my VUSS which is lowered just below FE2 on pedders gear.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
So the car is currently getting a new steering rack + wheel alignment and trans service, might change the leads and O2 censor to see if fuel use will improve at all? Currently getting around 16L per 100ks. Going on a trip to Vic in a few weeks so will see how it fares on the highway with cruise control.

Also one question, if I get new ECU is it just plug n play or do I have to get it set up or something? since the dyno guy couldn't get the tune off the current one it might be cheaper to just get a new ECU? Thanks in advance

Why would you need a new ECU?
Just get someone to tune your current one.

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
Why would you need a new ECU?
Just get someone to tune your current one.

I took it to get Dyno'd and he couldn't re tune it, kept getting an error when trying to load his own tune. He said the only way around it was to get Holden to re flash it or get another ECU.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I took it to get Dyno'd and he couldn't re tune it, kept getting an error when trying to load his own tune. He said the only way around it was to get Holden to re flash it or get another ECU.

get a second opinion....