Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My HSV Clubsport

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It might be worthwhile replacing the rear-main seal when/while you have the transmission out?
And the trans input and output shaft seals, or at least the input shaft seal. I wish I had thought about that or was told it should be done when my trans came out.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
And the trans input and output shaft seals, or at least the input shaft seal. I wish I had thought about that or was told it should be done when my trans came out.

… and I wasn’t going to mention it, but I also wondered about replacing the torque converter too? The ‘full lock up clutch’ is in the torque converter and the particles off the clutch seem to be what stuffs up some of the gm transmissions (but I think the 6L80 is pretty good in that regard).

I suppose it can be hard to decide when to stop on the ‘replace it while there’ mission. I’d certainly be doing the rear main as they are a well known failure item.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... out and about and just flogged the car in 2nd... then something fell off the engine or at least the front end
You're lucky it wasn't the transmission pump and bell-housing that fell out in bits along with the TC as the rotating assembly wobbled about during its precession (once the bolts let go) ...

Really, you should drop the transmission from the engine and fix all known issues and defects that you find with the access you get with the transmission on the ground... Nothing worse than cutting corners on repairing defects that you know to exist and then having much bigger and more expensive problems occur as a consequence...

Not to mention the liability you are exposed to by driving a car with such known defects while flogging it about pretending to be Fangio ... I get it, it can be fun and can be stress relieving until the worst occurs and peoples lawyers come after you...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Not to mention the liability you are exposed to by driving a car with such known defects while flogging it about pretending to be Fangio ... I get it, it can be fun and can be stress relieving until the worst occurs and peoples lawyers come after you...
Especially when it's all documented on this forum.

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
OK ok ok!!!

Car is about to go up and have a look. Not being driven till at the minimum I've tightened the 2 bolts and used locktite which I now have, but if I have lost another bolt it won't get driven till fixed once and for all. The flogging was just a cheap thrill, I forget stuff. Important stuff like fsrked flex plate, but as I say am here to fix it now.

I've had more important stuff like facial for stereo and Aerpro controls... :rolleyes:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
OK ok ok!!!

Car is about to go up and have a look. Not being driven till at the minimum I've tightened the 2 bolts and used locktite which I now have, but if I have lost another bolt it won't get driven till fixed once and for all. The flogging was just a cheap thrill, I forget stuff. Important stuff like fsrked flex plate, but as I say am here to fix it now.

I've had more important stuff like facial for stereo and Aerpro controls... :rolleyes:
FFS don't use red Loctite on the convertor bolts!
If there is any wear on the bolt shank under the head, you will snap the heads off trying to remove them!:eek:

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
FFS don't use red Loctite on the convertor bolts!
If there is any wear on the bolt shank under the head, you will snap the heads off trying to remove them!:eek:
Ok I'll just worry about seeing if there's even 2 bolts there. That's the start....

HSV-Paul

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Clubsport R8
It's time to bite the bullet and fix it properly, it's just a failure waiting to happen.
I hear you. I have the car up and will get underneath her tomorrow, see what the go is. I did have quick look and there seems to be more oil than usual. Sure I have seals gone too.

Once I have my motorbike sorted (snapped the clutch cable and new one taking forever!) I'll have transport, but as I had to get out this morning I just have the car as in between jobs once again and no company vehicle. I had the wife's AUDI to use till this morning as that's just sold as well.

Anyway I'll see what's happening under that starter motor in the morning..

Anyone know of a link on how to swap out the plate? I've given up looking as can't find nothing.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Anyone know of a link on how to swap out the plate? I've given up looking as can't find nothing.

Maybe search for 6L80 transmission removal, or torque converter removal? The flex plate itself is a relatively minor part in the whole scheme of things.

The big one is to read up on how to ensure the torque converter is properly seated before reinstalling the transmission - I can’t stress that one too much - do it wrong and pull the transmission up to the engine with the bolts and you will destroy the pump on the transmission.