Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My Interior Lights Stay On

V

VQOwner

I have a VQ Statesman and the interior lights stay on after I shut the doors. Has anyone had the same problem?

I have checked all the door switches and they seem ok. It has one of those timer things that turn off the interior lights after 10 seconds and I think the problem is associated with that. If I take the fuse out when the engine is running and all the doors are shut it sometimes resets it.

If it is the timer where can I find it and can I by-pass it or replace it? I have read somewhere that the body chip can be reset by removing the relay, does anyone know where that is?

Thanks for any help
Ian

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
BCM is at fault and it is located under the passenger kickpanel.
Sort of under to the left the glovebox.

IF it's not adjusting other variable things (like intermediate wiper speed only on VQII) and power-window off delay then id say your BCM is fried.

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
i have heard of this problem before, im looking at the service manual as i type, and from what i can see, i doubt it very much that it's your timer, the problem seems to be the door switch, a sticky switch, grab a can of wd40, and go balistic around the door switches, if you give me a few day's, ill sus it out in my spare time for ya

cheers
garth

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VPII Calais
btw, the ECU can be reset by removing the engine and/or fuel pump fusable link located under the hood.

they are in the smaller fuse box and look like normal fuses (not the relays).
Remove them both for about 10 secs then put them back in.

Start the car, idle it at about 3k for about 10 seconds and see if that helps but i doubt it.

have u recently installted a stereo or done anything electrical without first removing the negative battery terminal?
a short can cause the BCM to fry.

V

VQOwner

Thanks for the advice.

It is a Series 1. Don't know if that changes things.

I don't think I have shorted anything, however, I should have mentioned that I have put on an after market alarm as I was told the original had collapsed and you could not replace it. It would go off in the middle of the night for no reason. What fun

The replacement was put in by the people that I bought it from. They told me that the best way to deal with the old alarm was to turn it off and forget it. This is what they did.

With regard to the BCM nothing else seems to be playing up. Is the BCM the big box that looks really expensive?

I have been doing some research on the wiring diagram (Gregory's manual). There seems to be a wire (white) going from the interior lights to the orignal alarm system. Is it possible that the old alarm system is causing the earth thus leaving the lights on?

Thanks again
Ian

V

VQOwner

Finally figured it out. I had the car detailed prior to selling it and the moisture got in one of the connections. Damn.

It sorted itself out no problems now.

Thanks all for the advice.
Ian