Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Place for Custom Tune for Alloytec? Parramatta to Penrith?

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
I'm in the process of fitting some bolt-on mods to my 2005 VZ Adventra LX6, which, of course, has the 190kw Alloytec V6.
Cold Air is in, next comes Intake Manifold Insulator, then Hot Earth and Voltage Stabilizer (it won't hurt), and even a Throttle Body Spacer.

I don't really want to go further than that. No replacement cams or pulleys for me.
And it sounds more than loud enough already, so no new exhaust.

The power has already noticeably increased & will hopefully increase a little more with the other mods.
It'll then be enough for my needs.

What I'm after is a tune what can give me the best fuel economy without losing the power and torque I have gained.
So I have 2 questions:

1) With all those mods, would a custom tune be the best way to achieve this, or would a generic tune be enough?
2) If I need a custom tune, where I get one a reasonable price between, say, Parramatta and Penrith? (I live in the Lower Blue Mountains)
(If there's a really outstanding, experienced, proven tuner further away, I won't say no)

cheers

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
A custom tune is always going to be better then a generic tune.
I recommend you go see castle hill performance.
They will be able to give you a tune and will Increase power torque and improve fuel economy to a point.

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
Thanks, I rang them and they quoted $900.
Sounds OK, but I'll have to save the pennies.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Yeah your trying to get blood from a stone with a six but whater floats ya boat.
Fuel economy should improve so its not a total loss...

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
I'll settle for torque, response, and fuel economy. :)

But if you know anyone who who can do a good dyno tune for less, I'm definitely listening....

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
I'll settle for torque, response, and fuel economy. :)

But if you know anyone who who can do a good dyno tune for less, I'm definitely listening....

You're on the wrong track. Asking for a good dyno tune for less is dumb! You're not prepared to pay for a turbo or charger or more powerful engine yeah? The tune at $900 is from one of the best in the game and probably tuned the most Alloytecs in Aus which means it will be in best of hands. Transmission tuning is a big part of Alloytec drivability gains. Easy to kill a trans if tuned incorrectly.

Pay the money, get the best out of your economy driven heavy drivetrain power loss car would be my tip.

Another option is to fins a tuner that costs $100-$300 less and get not even close to the result $900 will get you when it's already sheer turd polishing as it is lol

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
so to sum up

pay $900 to gain 3KW
or cheap out on the tuner and pay $600 to gain 2KW

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
Thanks for the insight about trans tuning - I hadn't thought of that.
Thanks also for your vote of confidence in this tuning guy. I'm new to all this, I don't know the game, so I have nothing to compare him too, and no idea of his rep.

Sorry if my request sounds dumb to you.
I obviously know very little about this stuff, which is why I am asking for advice from wiser heads.
No-one was born knowing about engines and performance - everybody had to learn it. So everyone was dumb at some stage.
Anyway, thanks for being constructive. You have helped.

You're on the wrong track. Asking for a good dyno tune for less is dumb! You're not prepared to pay for a turbo or charger or more powerful engine yeah? The tune at $900 is from one of the best in the game and probably tuned the most Alloytecs in Aus which means it will be in best of hands. Transmission tuning is a big part of Alloytec drivability gains. Easy to kill a trans if tuned incorrectly.

Pay the money, get the best out of your economy driven heavy drivetrain power loss car would be my tip.

Another option is to fins a tuner that costs $100-$300 less and get not even close to the result $900 will get you when it's already sheer turd polishing as it is lol