Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing VT/VX door trim

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
How can you remove the rear door trim when you cannot open the door?

Senatorjohn
Read my post again. I assume your problem is that the lock actuator is broken, or the latch/lock mechanism is broken. Forcefully pry off the material/leather covered insert (the arm rest) from the door trim. You will probably damage it doing this. Then you can access the lock rods inside the door and hopefully get the door to open. This is the only way - short of trying to unbolt and remove the entire door from the car and i'm not sure if that is even possible!

Benj

Reaction score
Members Ride
98 VT executive
thanks for the instructions, just bought my first car (98VT wagon). the speakers clip if the even become audible. I found this thread to be the best that i could find (even through google)

Cheers

DarkEnvy

Bam! and the dirt is gone
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII Berlina
Fairly sure it is, but, VT's are fitted with standard 6" speakers right? my front 2 speakers stopped working and I plan on getting them both replaced by following this guide, I want to have them ready to put in when I take the door apart.

DarkEnvy

Bam! and the dirt is gone
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VYII Berlina
Fairly sure it is, but, VT's are fitted with standard 6" speakers right? my front 2 speakers stopped working and I plan on getting them both replaced by following this guide, I want to have them ready to put in when I take the door apart.

Yes? No? ..................

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Old thread!

Done this today too, major issue for me was the second screw behind the handle but other than that pretty easy. Re screws on the edges, there's 3 underneath, 2 on the opening side and 1 on the hinge side (you might need a stubby screw driver to get to this easily). Other screws are behind the lock (need to pop the red tag and remove the lock to see this) and the one behind the little circle pop out cover under the handle. There's also another in the bottom corner of the speaker grille.

Used a 2mm flat screwdriver to pop the red tag, just go slow... did 2 today and no problems with this technique.

Mine was a power window problem which seems to just be a couple of plastic parts gone bad... should be an easy/cheap fix if it's just these 2 parts that need to be replaced. Symptoms were loud banging noise when trying to use power winder and the window itself will fall down by itself... need to push it back up by hand every day or so at the moment. Very bottom of the window assy there's a little plastic slider and a pin that goes into the geared wheel that attaches to the motor. My plastic slider was in 2 parts (1 found rattling in the bottom of the door) and the pin (i assume it's a pin of some kind) was gone altogether.

EDIT***************

Stupid me, no pin thing I just didn't see the arms that clip in... all i saw was a hole newarby that looked like it would hook up somehow :p turns out i just need two new runners - awesome!

Last edited:

galahs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Read my post again. I assume your problem is that the lock actuator is broken, or the latch/lock mechanism is broken. Forcefully pry off the material/leather covered insert (the arm rest) from the door trim. You will probably damage it doing this. Then you can access the lock rods inside the door and hopefully get the door to open. This is the only way - short of trying to unbolt and remove the entire door from the car and i'm not sure if that is even possible!

I had this problem. My VX rear left door wouldn't unlock, and it was stuck in deadlock mode. Trying to pull up the lock button was impossible. I pulled so hard the knob pulled right off!

because I couldn't open the door I had to resort to ripping off the material arm rest section of the door. I just used a screw driver to pry it off. (Breaking most of the clips in the process). I will glue this back on when I'm done.

I then cut the sound deadening material and the plastic rain guard at the back end off the door so I could access the outside door handle nuts (2 x 10mm). I undid them and removed the door handle.
Through that opening I could unlatch the rod that attaches to the door lock solenoid. I could now manually move the deadlocking mechanism and open the door using the inside door handle.

I then had to remove the inside door trim to re-attach the rod that attached to the door lock button. To get the winder off, I inserted a very thick rag between the winder arm and the decorative plastic trim ring and then wound the window down. The retaining clip sprung off.

I can’t be bothered to pay for another solenoid so I’m just going to leave that door as a manually operated lock.

Tontaronto

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Acclaim
Cheers, i might be doing this on the weekend, the missus' vt has lost something, the outside doorhandle won't open the door. Where as the inside one works fine..

Any tips...or am i pushing stuff up hill?

GRANDPA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT CALAIS
Thanks to all, I have successfully removed the passenger door trim on my VT Calais. The reason being the window had dropped to the bottom and would not wind up..culprit was 2 nylon glides

that sit in the track on the bottom of the window. Both had split and fallen out. Probably a 20 cent part. Hope the General still has them as spare bits. Will try tomorrow.

Cheers and thanks again