Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Roller cam blocks prefix

vndetta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
G'day everyone, can anybody tell me if any of the VS 304/355 efi's were roller's? I've been looking for detailed specs on the VU*** engine number prefix but I've only found that it's from VN-VS models. I found a couple of blocks that are factory relieved for stroker cranks and also have higher than standard lifter bores with VU*** engine number prefix. Any info would be great.

GM001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 304
Some VS series 3's had the roller motor, mainly utes and caprice. All blocks VR series 2 on wards are stroker relived, which prefix is VU, the roller motor prefix is VM or VN. to my knowledge no VU prefix blocks had high lifter bores to accommodate for the roller block.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Well in theory, but I've done tunes for heaps of "Series 3's" so the owners claim but they never seem to have the maf ecu. Unless they are map based and just use the roller block and cam without the rest of the VT setup

vndetta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
Some VS series 3's had the roller motor, mainly utes and caprice. All blocks VR series 2 on wards are stroker relived, which prefix is VU, the roller motor prefix is VM or VN. to my knowledge no VU prefix blocks had high lifter bores to accommodate for the roller block.

Thanks for that info GM001.:beer chug:

vndetta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
So does anybody know what the height differnce is on the lifter bores between the roller block and the flat tappet blocks? I've seen some earlier efi blocks and the lifter bores are quite low with almost nothing raised of the cam tunnel casting. But the VU66**** prefix block I seen, the lifter bores were raised roughly 1" above the cam tunnel casting. Does this not indicate the block as a roller? Or is it just an upgrade in the casting of the later blocks along with the stroker relief?

vyjess

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy
well the lifter bores look alot higher than a normal block to me! holden being holden they probly started making and using roller blocks b4 they had roller cam engines!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Looks different but the roller blocks have mounting holes in the centre too