Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Roller cam blocks prefix

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Not sure if Ari measured that SBC; but I just measured a 304 and it is around 45mm lifter to matched lifter. (hard to reach spot so not precise, but quite close)

I also note that Roller rockers (pedestal mount) are the same on a 304 as they are on a Pontiac 455.

Also I have heard that Harley Twincam roller lifters are the same as SBC lifters. I happen to have a set of H-D TC lifters and I just tried them in the 304, they slip perfectly into the 304 lifter bore; although any more than about 0.100" lift and there is risk of losing oil feed to the hole in the lifter.

DrivingJorts

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Esteem Wagon 3.8
Hey guys, new to the game here and I’m reviving this post.
Not sure if this is a dumb question but is it possible to tell if motor is roller cam/stroker relieved from the engine number? It is supposedly out of a VS but not sure what series etc.
Also I would like to know how old it is because it would be going into a 97 VS if all the boxes are ticked.
The motor is in another state and I would like to know before I commit to it.
VU 580728 is the number.

Cheers for any help.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Hey guys, new to the game here and I’m reviving this post.
Not sure if this is a dumb question but is it possible to tell if motor is roller cam/stroker relieved from the engine number? It is supposedly out of a VS but not sure what series etc.
Also I would like to know how old it is because it would be going into a 97 VS if all the boxes are ticked.
The motor is in another state and I would like to know before I commit to it.
VU 580728 is the number.

Cheers for any help.
VU is not roller.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Were all roller blocks MAF based?

MAF based engines won't have a MAT sensor on the intake manifold.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yep ok, But potentially stroker relieved as per an earlier comment. Any way of telling before pulling it apart is what I would like to know.
If it has a big "5.0" cast into the side of the block under the heads it's an early VN/VP pre-relief block.

If theres no 5.0 there and what looks like a blank rectangle where they would have stamped it, it's a VR onwards stroker relieved block.

In terms of the legalities of the age, you can legally run a VN/VP/VR block in a VS etc just fine as the VU prefix engine number was run throughout VN-VS.....I had a VN block registered in my VR no problems, you only can't put a VU prefix (non roller/maf engine) in a late VS that had a roller motor as your changing the emissions etc.

Last edited:

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Yep ok, But potentially stroker relieved as per an earlier comment. Any way of telling before pulling it apart is what I would like to know.
The engine number on my VH (VP v8 engine) is VU588758 so reasonably close to yours. So it is not stroker relieved. It's no big deal to get them relieved, mine was done.

DrivingJorts

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Esteem Wagon 3.8
If it has a big "5.0" cast into the side of the block under the heads it's an early VN/VP pre-relief block.

If theres no 5.0 there and what looks like a blank rectangle where they would have stamped it, it's a VR onwards stroker relieved block.

In terms of the legalities of the age, you can legally run a VN/VP/VR block in a VS etc just fine as the VU prefix engine number was run throughout VN-VS.....I had a VN block registered in my VR no problems, you only can't put a VU prefix (non roller/maf engine) in a late VS that had a roller motor as your changing the emissions etc.
Awesome! This is exactly the info I’ve been after for awhile now. Great to know. Cheers

The VS I will be putting the motor into is a 97 model, originally ecotec, does that change anything with the age/emissions etc?

The engine number on my VH (VP v8 engine) is VU588758 so reasonably close to yours. So it is not stroker relieved. It's no big deal to get them relieved, mine was done.

Oh that’s a bummer. Might have to keep searching.
I always have been under the impression it was a bit of a job if it wasn’t factory relieved. Glad to hear that’s not the case.
I don’t plan on doing the engine build at home anyways so when it’s going to the shop it can all be done there hey.
Cheers

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Awesome! This is exactly the info I’ve been after for awhile now. Great to know. Cheers

The VS I will be putting the motor into is a 97 model, originally ecotec, does that change anything with the age/emissions etc?

Oh that’s a bummer. Might have to keep searching.
I always have been under the impression it was a bit of a job if it wasn’t factory relieved. Glad to hear that’s not the case.
I don’t plan on doing the engine build at home anyways so when it’s going to the shop it can all be done there hey.
Cheers
Depending on con-rod choice, the relieved blocks can still require further clearancing on stroker builds.

Also, if I remember correctly, @Immortality was saying the VN/VP blocks were the better ones as the core shift was less and bores were thicker/consistent/more appropriate for a stroker build.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I've done it a few times in SA because the car was offered with that engine it should be fine, once your local road authority pumps that engine number into the system, it will match up with being an engine number that was available in that model, so no further engineering or modifications should be required.

As long as the charcoal canister, vacuum lines, PCV etc is all hooked up as it should be if it was a factory V8 car the emissions will be fine.