Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sandmans' VC SL

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Think vb/c k frame sit steering rack at slightly different angle or whatever to vh or vk....not 100% reasons why but all the parts basically change over & visually you'll only notice if compared side by side.

Kind of think vb k frame was the odd duckling...only reason ever noticed anything was trying to work out why vb to vk manual racks had different intermediate shafts.

But basically vn-vs k frame,vl or vn p/steer rack with vl p/steer intermediate shaft for most amount of header clearance if going efi 304 heads or ls

Not sure about the angle bit, but the bracket spacing where the rack bolts is definately different....Can't remember which has the wider spacing.

So a couple of different things

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Spacing between rack mounting any old head into early girl v8' will know about simply because if you want p/steer & decent efi v8 extractors you have to use vn-vs k frame for extra clearances...common knowledge.

Debate is in mix n matching vb to vk k frames with different manual racks & intermediate shaft...there are differences when compare them against each other if know actual model car came off BUT even if mix n matched highly doubt anyone will notice any major difference when driving car although manual steer vk commodores seem to have lighter steering feel.

Up to now I've put manual racks in everything from a vh sle to a couple vk replicas even vl rack into vp...one day will go back to a p/steer setup just to try electric p/steer pumps but right now prefer simplicity & extra clearances lol

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
New bits
zL70Rpp.jpg

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Make sure you can use rubber mount for trans member...need some give so whole car does not vibrate or have harmonic issues.

Tbh I'd rather break & change a rubber engine mount once per year than have vibrational/harmonic issues.

f280 355 rocked like a mofo at idle even with rubber mounts yet surprisingly never broke one even with 4500rpm stall/4.56 setup behind it.

6l80 or 4l80 going behind holden v8?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Yeah I didn't buy the tuff mounts trans mount for that reason. I just need to work out what the equivelant is in rubber (shouldn't be hard I just haven't looked yet). 6L80e is the go.

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Yeah I didn't buy the tuff mounts trans mount for that reason. I just need to work out what the equivelant is in rubber (shouldn't be hard I just haven't looked yet). 6L80e is the go.
I adapted the 6L50 trans mount to use with the vt cross member.

Maybe you can do something similar?

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Certainly worth looking into

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Does 6l80e sit in same position when bolted on back of a 304 as ls engine...crank centre line?

If so apparently for ls conversion they just need to grind ridge off for clearance to chassis bracing in trans tunnel...still tight by looks of it.

Drove a workmate's 7ltr blown vf clubbie with craig's transmissions bulit 6l80e & small stally....very linear in acceleration.

Although super weird with big torque when break traction off the line just how quick they go through gears then almost bog down in 5th lol.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I assume so, but I will find out I. I've only seen it done with LS's and yeah bloody tight even with shaving but I'll make it work one way or another. There's a few in the US who have put them behind SBC's so I figured, if it fits, how hard can it be haha. I know it won't be straight forward, but should make for a far nicer street car that with a T700 or any 3 speed variety.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah if can find out 304 crank centre line & what they are for Ls engine should give better idea if will work straight up or what other options will be...

Small k frame spacers or replace bracing with chromoly tubing would be proper way methinks.

I'm curious to see how it works out....moreso how it will sound go through gears wide open throttle.