Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sandmans' VC SL

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Do you need some measurements done on a VC and VS filler neck tube thickness? Got both laying round here that I can do for you..

Can probably get the length of the VS neck, but the VC neck might be difficult....The VS one is out of the car, but not the VC one

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
What tcu (aftermarket tcu) you planning on using?
The Plan is to run a Haltech of some description, possibly a Nexus if I get carried away.... And Powertune digital do a Can interface box which allows the Haltech to control the 6L80. Unless a better way comes up between now and me actually wiring the car. But I know its possible doing it this way which was enough for me to be happy to start buying parts.
Do you need some measurements done on a VC and VS filler neck tube thickness? Got both laying round here that I can do for you..

Can probably get the length of the VS neck, but the VC neck might be difficult....The VS one is out of the car, but not the VC one
I wouldn't say no to the length and thickness of the VS if you don't mind, the VC I can use the one thats in the car to refernce as its coming out anyway.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Diamention time...This is from a VS Statesman fuel tank filler pipe..

Internal OD is 48MM
External OD is 50 to 51MM

Overall length is 390 MM to 400 MM

The pipe has a 20 to 30 degree bend half way down the pipe which made it a little difficult getting an exact measurement. It also has a slight flare at the base of the pipe very similar to the radiator outlets for the hoses....

I also have the complete tank from the statesman if you need any other things....

Reactions: Lex

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Perfect thanks for the info, I'm sure I'll ask for more at some point.

Last edited:

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Alrighty brains trust, I plan on using a VN-VS K frame as I believe this allows for more header clearance. But as the stock on is still in the car currently, can anyone tell me if the engine mounts are located any differently between the two? Reason being so in terms of motor/gearbox mockup I can just use the current K frame then switch once I get further down the track. I do have a VN-S one here, but I have to go jack the VC out of the way to get to it. I'd rather not do that again this week if possible.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have put a V8 VS K-frame into a V8 VL....Everything bolted up as it should...I originally went to put a VB k-frame into the VL but the steering rack didn't bolt on...Everything else did

The only differences I have struck is VL to VS 6 cyl engine mount brackets are different on the K frame to the VB to VK K-frames. The VL to VS V8 engine mounting brackets are identical to the VB to VK 6 and V8 brackets

Not 100% sure when the change came to the rack bolt up points, but either the VH or VK onwards rack mounting brackets are in a different position to the VB/VC rack....

Last edited:

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Hmmm well I didn't realise VN-S Kframes were different V6 to V8, either that or its been that long that I've forgotten. I've got a VN rack/which came with the kframe, guess I should probably check its a V8 K frame now. But atleast if VN-VS V8 is the same as VB-K I should be sweet to mockup with the current K frame in it.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It's how the motor bolts onto it....V6 engine mounts have 2 bolts that go through the brackets, on the vertical.

V8 engines and straight 6's have a nut and bolt that go through on the horizontal.....

1693169960471.png

Here's a V6 engine mount with the bolts showing that go through the k frame brackets....

1693170538851.png

V8 motor engine mount...The nut and bolt goes through the bracket on the top of the picture

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Think vb/c k frame sit steering rack at slightly different angle or whatever to vh or vk....not 100% reasons why but all the parts basically change over & visually you'll only notice if compared side by side.

Kind of think vb k frame was the odd duckling...only reason ever noticed anything was trying to work out why vb to vk manual racks had different intermediate shafts.

But basically vn-vs k frame,vl or vn p/steer rack with vl p/steer intermediate shaft for most amount of header clearance if going efi 304 heads or ls

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Yeah perfect cheers guys, a bit of googling last night and I found the difference. Hopefully the one I have here is a V8 one lol.