Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

setting a ford owner right(hopefully)

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
hey guys, yesterday a guy tried to tell me that holden have always been running the ford front suspension. from my knowings, they ran the holden mac struts, til last year or the year before when rules changed. can anyone verify this for me?

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Well unless I have been misguided all this time I would agree with yourself.

It wasn't until parity was bought in they changed to the double wishbone setup, prior to use they used Macpherson struts.

EDIT: I can't find any links to confirm what you've got but I dare say your spot on the money.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
http://www.v8supercar.com.au/news/latestnews/newsdisplay.asp?gid=5850&ind=M

"The 35-year-old said he was pleased with the performance in testing of the VY Commodore, which was converted from a VX Holden he raced in 2002 and features major technical changes including a double-wishbone front suspension to replace the McPherson strut, and a new aerodynamic package.
"

So it must have changed for the 2003 season, All those changes they made to make the comp more even is a load of rubbish isn't it

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
2003 is right, this is the 3rd year, since the change due to domination of namely HRT amongst other high quality teams stone brothers have done it reasonably easily thus far.

I guess from the point of view of the guys in charge of making the changes it was a joke with 5 championships in a row with the last one being the best whooping in many many years if not the best.

No doubt ford fans were leaving in droves at that point, now the tables have turned somewhat due to the so called parity.

You could imagine using the same suspension since year dot then being chucked a different suspension package to work with, that to me would be a huge task although on the bright side a number of the Holden appear to have it sorted out now.

VSTrev

The Stig!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VS Ute
i wasn't going to say anything but i can't help myself.

This parity crap has been going on for so long and it is something that really really annoys me.

Project Blueprint, we all remember those words don't we, when Tony Cochrain and the AVESCO heavies decided that ford needed to have an easier shot at the title.

Why make ford produce a better car when we can bring all holdens to a lower level.

Follow me here it does make sense,

Ford decides to hold off the development of the new falcon, they decide to stick with the AU knowing full well that it was a pile of crap and that all the ford teams were complaining about it. Meanwhile AVESCO go about trying to reduce the holdens abvious benifits by fiting the falcon with the commodore front spoiler, and reducing a number of aero factors on the rear of the commodore to bring it closer to the aerodynamic pressures that the AU gets.

a while later AVESCO once again thinks this is not good with holden winning all the time say they put a team together to find out how to bring the Falcon and the Commodore into line. Thus was born project blueprint.

So AVESCO announce their plans to implement project blue print in 2003 i think, however all cars had to be completly complient by 2004. (correct me if i'm wrong). then, fairly soon after this was announced Ford announce they are releasing the Falcon BA in time for the project blueprint to be in full swing.

Ford knew that the AU was a load of rubbish but they also knew that they couldn't provide a car that could conqour the mighty holdens at that time. So they sat it out and waited for AVESCO to change the rules to bring the commodores down to the AU level, then Ford will bring out their NOW superier BA out and get some easy wins making the blue oval look good once again.

Ford are dirty dirty lasy cheats. Why work for a win when you can have one handed to you.

You may just think this is a conspiracy theory, but your wrong. Do the math. Look at past results, look at the dates, it all adds up.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
sorry man, thats the funniest post i've read ever.

MY_95_VS

Drifting Champion...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina V6
VSTREV, I couldnt agree with you more. I have believed this all along, and i think it is bollocks that the rules should disadvantage our cars. I remember a few years ago, AVESCO made holden change their front bumper design so that it wasnt so low thus creating better downforce around the corners. Ford's aerodynamic designers had tried to match it, but all they ended up doing was flipping an AU in practise with the new bumper... YESSSSSSSS!!! Another one bites the dust@!!!. However, since that rule about the front bars changed, and Holden had to change theirs to match that of the crappy AU, Holden seemingly have been left in the dark... It seems that if you are at the forefront of cutting edge technology in motor racing these days, the AVESCO people want you to take a number, and get in line. They dont want us to win, its as simple as that! How many operational changes have favoured FORD over the last few years? I could make a reference to the number of foreigners coming into our country per year... But i wont... And how many changes have favoured Holden and its smaller teams? I cannot count any really...

Sorry, thats just my 2c worth!!!

(sorry if it was a bit of a rant, but once u pop a blood vessel in your brain from the stress that this BS situation causes, u cant stop...)

VSTrev

The Stig!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VS Ute
Quote from Yoda

"To MY_95_VS you listen, Wise in the ways of such matters he is!"

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
lol, good read guys, yeh i feel exactly the same. and thanks for verifying my question.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I'm not sure about you guys, but it seems that every time i watch the V8 Supercars, during the commercial breaks there seems to be a lot of ads for our local Ford dealer.....that looks kinda dodgy doesn't it?