Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

setting a ford owner right(hopefully)

perkins

Reaction score
Members Ride
HDT VH ADP
juzza said:
Ambrose, Ingall and Lowndes - All three are running Stone Brothers built engines..

However I disagree with the whole thing, running 5 litres? We have freakin' 6 litre engines now (and ford have 5.4 lol, well it's meant to compete right).. would love to see a change to the actual blocks that are in the cars, then I think it would return to being Holden dominated (the way I like it).. or maybe if ford decides to release a coupe one day we could have a new motorsport to compete with AVESCO where they run Monaros and ford coupes. :unsure:

JUST MY THOUGHTS!

Why run 6 litre engines when the name of the game is trying to cut costs??? And why would you want to run Holden and Ford Coupes in a category against the current V8 Supercar class??? AVESCO is the Australian V8 Supercar Company and all the teams out there racing are shareholders in this so why would they abandon their own class that they formed themselves for themselves to rid the sport of all the bullshit that went on before??? Maybe what you mean is use the Monaro and a Ford equivalent to replace Falcon and Commodore as V8 Supercars. I agree they'd look good but the current regs stipulate the car must be a 4 door sedan. Just remeber if it ain't broke don't fix it. And I don't think theres too much broke with Supercars at the minute.

perkins

Reaction score
Members Ride
HDT VH ADP
I think a few people here need to go and check out the Supercar regs. The HMS engine is not based on the Ford motor. It's still a Chev based motor with different heads to the old 18 degree motor to make it more similar to the Ford motor in specs. Sure they both now run the same front suspension set up and rear end - but at least now nobody can complain one has an edge over the other in suspension. About the only area that's 'free' is the design of the airbox and how the cars get their air in. I think the closeness of the racing this year reflects how good Blueprint is working, I know I was getting bored with HRT bashing everyones brains in week after week...

Ho7den

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
I think Perkins has got the right approach. I too got sick of watching Skaiff win all the time and now it is exciting to watch again. Go lowndes I say, I have seen enough of Ambrose. Kelly is starting to kick some but again and that is good to watch as well as Both Richards, Radisich and Tander. It is no longer a one man band. Go the HOLDENS.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
perkins said:
Why run 6 litre engines when the name of the game is trying to cut costs??? And why would you want to run Holden and Ford Coupes in a category against the current V8 Supercar class??? AVESCO is the Australian V8 Supercar Company and all the teams out there racing are shareholders in this so why would they abandon their own class that they formed themselves for themselves to rid the sport of all the bullshit that went on before??? Maybe what you mean is use the Monaro and a Ford equivalent to replace Falcon and Commodore as V8 Supercars. I agree they'd look good but the current regs stipulate the car must be a 4 door sedan. Just remeber if it ain't broke don't fix it. And I don't think theres too much broke with Supercars at the minute.

You've got a point about abandoning their own series, it's just.. argh! I like a bit of variety, I mean it's either Holden or Ford on top.. I love watching the classic races at the mountain where there were all kinds of cars, especially the ones before it was Aussie V8s only where the Japanese reigned supreme in the wet with all their high tech. stuff.. that was awesome, it was that kind of competition with so many types of cars that led Holden and Ford to building some of their most legendary road cars that they did for homologation etc. (GTR-XU1s, GT-HOs) Now it's just a two car race where both cars are about the same (and their trying to save money instead of burn it just to win), I can't see any true race bred car coming out of V8s now, but when they were competing on a global level they had to keep up or be left behind and they did that..

By making it a two make race they killed a good thing in my opinion, you don't feel as proud when your Aussie Holden beats an Aussie Ford as you would if your Aussie Holden beats GT-Rs, BMWs, Camaros etc.

All my opinion!

perkins

Reaction score
Members Ride
HDT VH ADP
juzza said:
By making it a two make race they killed a good thing in my opinion, you don't feel as proud when your Aussie Holden beats an Aussie Ford as you would if your Aussie Holden beats GT-Rs, BMWs, Camaros etc.
All my opinion!

It was good watching some of that racing from the early '70's to the mid '80's but in all reality the rules that made group C racing were very
ad-hoc in that with all the bullshit all the teams had to go thru to get a car homologated, and then all the protests from rival teams when they did and in the end it was only ever the teams with the $ to spend (read HDT) that had the best chance of winning the enduros (when was the last time 1 race team won 6 Bathurst's out of 7 - HDT '78,'79,'80 & '82,'83,'84). As LP once said they really were the only team that could've won, there was no one else to challenge them as nobody else had a big enough budget, unlike today.

Group A racing nearly killed off motor racing in this country. How could a 5 litre, rwd Commodore compete against a Nissan GTR 4WD that could pump out about 600HP, when the rules (written by Europeans for europe) prevented it from being able to produce more than 540HP? Does anyone remeber the Group A days of the ATCC? When barely 12 cars made the grid and apart from the 2 or 3 GTRs, a couple of BMW's the rest were all Sierra's (that you couldn't even buy here!) and a few old VL's for those brave enough to even bother. Sure I loved it when LP beat them all at the old Adelaide GP races in his VL, and who didn't cry when finally HRT won in 1990? But to be honest what we have now leaves that stuff and all it's politics for dead.

If you want to enjoy the thrill of a V8 Commodore beating Europe and Japan's best you should check out the production car racing on Foxtel and SBS. Peter Floyd and a few others in their HSV's are fighting hard against EVO's WRX's BMW's and countless other marques. Admittedly the racing mightn't be at the level of the main game Supercar boys, but it's what the old ATCC was once like in some ways.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
perkins said:
If you want to enjoy the thrill of a V8 Commodore beating Europe and Japan's best you should check out the production car racing on Foxtel and SBS. Peter Floyd and a few others in their HSV's are fighting hard against EVO's WRX's BMW's and countless other marques. Admittedly the racing mightn't be at the level of the main game Supercar boys, but it's what the old ATCC was once like in some ways.

Sounds exactly like my cuppa! Didn't realise there was so much to group C though, again see your point.. I don't know what I want anymore :cry:

perkins

Reaction score
Members Ride
HDT VH ADP
juzza said:
Sounds exactly like my cuppa! Didn't realise there was so much to group C though, again see your point.. I don't know what I want anymore :cry:

:yeah:

Group C gave us some awsome road cars for which we should be eternally grateful, and if it wasn't for Group A there'd be no nice Formula Blue VK Group A SS Commodores or VL Walky's for that matter.

But at least you've got plenty to choose from these days - especially if you have Foxtel where you get Nascar and WRC live as well as Moto GP and Superbikes live if you like the two wheeled thing. And if not, you know you can always rely in 10 to show as much as they can when they can.

Leno1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN commordore
i wasn't going to say anything but i can't help myself.

This parity crap has been going on for so long and it is something that really really annoys me.

Project Blueprint, we all remember those words don't we, when Tony Cochrain and the AVESCO heavies decided that ford needed to have an easier shot at the title.

Why make ford produce a better car when we can bring all holdens to a lower level.

Follow me here it does make sense,

Ford decides to hold off the development of the new falcon, they decide to stick with the AU knowing full well that it was a pile of crap and that all the ford teams were complaining about it. Meanwhile AVESCO go about trying to reduce the holdens abvious benifits by fiting the falcon with the commodore front spoiler, and reducing a number of aero factors on the rear of the commodore to bring it closer to the aerodynamic pressures that the AU gets.

a while later AVESCO once again thinks this is not good with holden winning all the time say they put a team together to find out how to bring the Falcon and the Commodore into line. Thus was born project blueprint.

So AVESCO announce their plans to implement project blue print in 2003 i think, however all cars had to be completly complient by 2004. (correct me if i'm wrong). then, fairly soon after this was announced Ford announce they are releasing the Falcon BA in time for the project blueprint to be in full swing.

Ford knew that the AU was a load of rubbish but they also knew that they couldn't provide a car that could conqour the mighty holdens at that time. So they sat it out and waited for AVESCO to change the rules to bring the commodores down to the AU level, then Ford will bring out their NOW superier BA out and get some easy wins making the blue oval look good once again.

Ford are dirty dirty lasy cheats. Why work for a win when you can have one handed to you.

You may just think this is a conspiracy theory, but your wrong. Do the math. Look at past results, look at the dates, it all adds up.