Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SOLVED] VP ute rear wires??? just hanging around.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
Where do these wires go in the video?? anyone know?

There is a set of 6 wires coming out of the drivers side rear (rear) quarter behind the diff. They are connected to nothing and were just looped around and taped up.
Do i need them for the trailer lights to work? I want to be able to tow legally, you know... when its going.

Colours are white, black, brown, red, green, yellow.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Those colours indicate a trailer harness. Having said that I'd rip them out and replace it with seven core instead of five core.

Sandst4rm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S1 Calais Ecotec - VP Ute 3800
I dont think i can rip them out they look like a body loom...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Should be able to trace it back though. The wires should be accessible from the tub side panels.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
You will find the colour coding for each wire here https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=trailer+wiring

Buy a test pencil or multi meter and test the wires then extend them as necessary and fit a trailer plug at the rear close to the tow tongue but not so low that it will get wiped out

The blue for trailer brakes can be added later should you need it.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Those wires would go to the trailer plug. Whoever installed the towbar has chosen that route for the harness probably for ease of routing.

On my ute the harness disappears underneath the tailgate and through a double panel.(viewed through the inspection cover at the rear of driver's side.)

I swapped out the 5 core for 7 but getting it through this path meant connecting the two cables so I could pull it through.
The actual plug is mounted on the outside of the double panel in line with the rego plate,but the metal there is very thin...

As Losh says, you'd be better off putting 7 core through,probably run it the same way as the 6 core just to make it easier for yourself. .