Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Big Espresso Coffee Machine Thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yup. We are almost out of beans so I ordered another bag yesterday, roasted and dispatched today. should have em on Monday.
How do you know if you will like taste of brand though if buying online? Is it a matter of trial and error?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Mr24 had 2 different lots of beans, I've ordered another batch of one we have already been using.

We will probably try some others with time.

Reactions: Lex

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
We have a roaster coffee shop in Launceston but the coffee is not nice which doesn't inspire me to buy their products. Some of the nicest coffee I've tasted was a brand found in Robe SA. I can't remember the brand as it was over 15 years ago when I bought it. Might be worth buying coffee online though. The one we get at Coles is pretty good but definitely better ones our there. Coles and WW is convenient and is on half price special about once a month.
It depends what kind of coffee you are trying to make. If you are happy with anything that tastes more or less like coffee then buy the cheapest beans available.
But if he wants every cup to be like the best coffee he ever tasted it's a different story. Not possible with supermarket beans that were roasted a few months ago.
We had a roaster open up nearby. After a while I went in for a visit. The signs said all the right things, fresh roasted, roasting daily etc. But they were trying to sell beans to the public that were 4 or 5 months old. So I asked basically WTF where are the fresh ones? Yes they're fresh he said. They're 5 months old I said. Where are the beans roasted this week? Well, We sell those ones to cafe's!!! LOL
Never went back.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
It depends what kind of coffee you are trying to make. If you are happy with anything that tastes more or less like coffee then buy the cheapest beans available.
But if he wants every cup to be like the best coffee he ever tasted it's a different story. Not possible with supermarket beans that were roasted a few months ago.
We had a roaster open up nearby. After a while I went in for a visit. The signs said all the right things, fresh roasted, roasting daily etc. But they were trying to sell beans to the public that were 4 or 5 months old. So I asked basically WTF where are the fresh ones? Yes they're fresh he said. They're 5 months old I said. Where are the beans roasted this week? Well, We sell those ones to cafe's!!! LOL
Never went back.

My first experience of Coffee Snobs was very positive. I was after a particular bean and I was having trouble finding it as the local coffee shop/roaster had closed. I found what I wanted on the Coffee Snobs website, but I was a bit too late and missed that weeks close off for that particular blend. I figured that i was in for a weeks wait, which didn’t bother me. I was pleasantly surprised when they emailed almost immediately after I placed the order and said that they just completed a batch and that they’d be in the mail the next day. Hard to get much fresher than that.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
How do you know if you will like taste of brand though if buying online? Is it a matter of trial and error?
Yes they are all a bit different. Amazing how each different roaster can consistently produce almost exactly the same flavour for several years. And when you taste the coffee from each place you can identify where they're from. And even more amazing is that beans from a certain roasters will work better on some machines than others. A shot that looks like melted chocolate is what you want. If it looks like dirty water it will taste like it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mr24 had 2 different lots of beans, I've ordered another batch of one we have already been using.

We will probably try some others with time.
Yeah but do you have to spend $30-$40 on beans without knowing if you will like them? Or is there say a $5 sample pack? The shop in Town that sells coffee in a cup and beans are loved by many but I tried it and really didn't like it. Had I bought a kg of beans I'd be pretty annoyed. The wife already wasted $40 buying these fancy beans online that some love but we both couldn't stomach, so we gave them away after only making two coffees.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
There was another really nice one sold at Foodland years ago. It was something like Jahavva I can't remember the name. When I tried to find it the Foodland I bought it from didn't stock it anymore.
I remember many years ago when I used to by Piazza D’Oro coffee beans at $36 per kilo, then I discovered Harris coffee beans at the local IGA for $12 per kilo and they were not too bad. After a while IGA stopped stocking them and I asked why. The shop assistant told me something like Woolworths had acquired the sole rights to sell them, so I went to my local Woolworths, and yes it was true, there they were but they were now $18 per kilo. F@#king robbing bustards!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah but do you have to spend $30-$40 on beans without knowing if you will like them? Or is there say a $5 sample pack? The shop in Town that sells coffee in a cup and beans are loved by many but I tried it and really didn't like it. Had I bought a kg of beans I'd be pretty annoyed. The wife already wasted $40 buying these fancy beans online that some love but we both couldn't stomach, so we gave them away after only making two coffees.

Mr24 had 2x 250gram bags. About $12 per bag.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute