Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The complete Vn-Vr Manual Conversion Guide.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Ok made sure I could start the car before installing everything.

The shifter is towards the driver, not centered in the hole. The gearbox itself is level. Pretty sure I have seen threads on this before.

I'll fit tailshaft later today to see how much it deviates.

Does the k frame have much play in it? Are the holes bigger than the bolts? Possible to crack the bolts and persuade it to move a little?

IMG_3495_2.jpg

IMG_3497_2.jpg

IMG_3498_2.jpg

IMG_3503_2.jpg

IMG_3504_2.jpg

IMG_3502_2.jpg

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Doesn't seem right. On my genuine factory 5 speed manual it was centred correctly.
Billet Products T5 shifter install 007.jpg

edit: the question is what is offset on yours? Looking at the shift in relation to the console the shifter seems to be offset to the right and it might be an optical illusion but so does the whole trans tunnel (unless the carpeting is sitting up on the drivers side maybe?).

Last edited:

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah its weird, I'm convinced its not right. Angle of the photos probably not helping either..........however the radio surround will also have the climate control, so eyeballing it, the shifter will sit near centre compared to the radio surround/climate control.........

The floor plate I have placed over the rivet holes so that in the correct position.

IMG_3500_2.jpg

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
How does it look under the car? Does the engine and transmission line up with the diff pinion?

Maybe use a string line from the cetre of the harmonic balancer to the diff pinion and then see if the transmission output shaft is in alignment with that.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes thats a good point. I ran a string line earlier from the output shaft to the diff pinion and it looked ok, but without the tailshaft actually in I can't be sure.

Will do the harmonic balancer to diff. Will try and measure the distance between the heads and firewall, or exhaust manifold to rails etc.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
On my old 308 I did have a bent engine mount that pushed the transmission over to one side but that happened when it was released from the trans mount and we couldn't get it back on. Yours is with the cross member and mount in place so that does make it odd.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
For IRS the tail shaft centre mount is offset, if you look at the centre mount bracket it should have IRS and an arrow one one side and something else with an arrow on the other side. It should be noticeable to the eye that the the bracket is offset to one side.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
If everything seems to be in alignment under the car maybe you can move the top plate over the centre it around the shifter and then drill new holes to rivet it in place?